SunVox Compo 2024.02

NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: SunVox Compo 2024.02

Post by NightRadio »

SunVox Compo 2024.02 voting has begun! The last voting day is April 1.
Download the votepack (44 tracks and player)
Rate the songs

Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

[Copypaste of what I left on YouTube:]

My special mentions:

SYNX - “interpretatio_graeca” is The Real Jam of the lot. It LIGHTS MY BRAIN AND BODY UP with feelings of “I don't merely respect™ but Enjoy Listening To this music.” Great utilization of the upper bound of filesize with the samples, the sounds and mixing and arrangement all feel great to me, groovy rhythms and melodies, it's A Complete Package and something I will probably actually listen to in the future. I am SADDENED that it can't also compress to under 256 kb, I SO BADLY wanted it to have a shot at inclusion!

aureolin wyvern - “horizon” is the only other track I immediately replayed because I just liked listening to it. Those chords at the start hooked me instantly, and everything after is just What Sounds Nice to me. Clean, chill, reasonably... *alive* music.

donkerbot gets a couple bonus points for being the only(?) other entrant to have written lyrics for a (pretty nice!) melody – and to a much greater, more Actual Song-y extent than I did. I expected more vocals! There were a couple good vocal tracks last year despite the 64 kb limit! And we even have Actually Decent free AI vocalists now — my throat SUCKS (including in medical ways, not limited to the effects of my puberty being interrupted by a pituitary tumor) and my recording environment/hardware is BEYOND TERRIBLE (people sleeping, noisy appliances, SEVEN CATS) but that doesn't have to matter so much anymore because you can just convert a low half-whispered performance into a whole different timbre and key with strong vocal projection and without sacrificing subtleties of articulation or relative pitch and with background noise filtered out FOR FREE IN SECONDS! seriously YOU ALL go play with your voice more, we live in amazing, *enabling* times

sk0, PhilipBergwerf, and Logickin all get cookies for their instrument designs. I hope they like cranberry oatmeal cookies. I do.

Philipp Waehnert - “Telephone” made me smile.

o9 - “HorrowSnow” struck me as pretty cool for such a minimalist entry. That sample can be made to sound pretty ~pretty~! I laughed when, against the odds, there was a *long* silence due to RNG just not triggering anything. It's like that sometimes, it's PART OF IT. (I listened to these all within SunVox while analyzing the project structures, not on YouTube.)

ClintVanWhite and Gdgdgdg Dgdgdgd, stay weird.

A number of other entries are Solid™ or Better Than Solid™, good job.

And of course, I *love* my own entries. They'd be more polished if they weren't the products of scrapping prior work on other potential compo entries less than a week before the deadline (yet again), but regardless, I made myself *feel things.* 1:24:10 – The quarter-tone-lower reprise of the one chimey melody against that whole backdrop is where I twist a key in my own jaded heart. And the whole second half of Surgeon's Kintsugi is uh... just gorgeous. And it's all synthesized, no samples! [Well technically the harmonica-like one is seeded by a sample sourced from a synth, but.] I'm PROUD, dammit, I have the right!

s’yeh good compo y'all 👏👏
donkerbot

Post by donkerbot »

Saltbearer wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:27 pm donkerbot gets a couple bonus points for being the only(?) other entrant to have written lyrics for a (pretty nice!) melody – and to a much greater, more Actual Song-y extent than I did. I expected more vocals! There were a couple good vocal tracks last year despite the 64 kb limit! And we even have Actually Decent free AI vocalists now — my throat SUCKS (including in medical ways, not limited to the effects of my puberty being interrupted by a pituitary tumor) and my recording environment/hardware is BEYOND TERRIBLE (people sleeping, noisy appliances, SEVEN CATS) but that doesn't have to matter so much anymore because you can just convert a low half-whispered performance into a whole different timbre and key with strong vocal projection and without sacrificing subtleties of articulation or relative pitch and with background noise filtered out FOR FREE IN SECONDS! seriously YOU ALL go play with your voice more, we live in amazing, *enabling* times
Awesome feedback, thanks! Yes, with the new 4MB size limit, we ditched one track we already had and quickly made this one. Converting all samples to ogg, it weighs in at just over 1.5MB, so that worked out pretty well.

We used Eleanor Forte's AI voice using Synthesizer V. It's a great way to quickly get some vocals down. We have used real singers on our tracks in the past, and even then, we used AI voices to give our vocalists a guide.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

SunVox Compo 2024.02 is over!
Congratulations to all participants!

The final rating:
1. PhilipBergwerf - Amsterdam 1907 : 226
2. Logickin - Spaghetti Express Train : 214
3. Philipp Waehnert - Telephone : 206

4. sk0 - Accretion Disk : 204
5. Trackerbound - 25 | we've got the inside joke for you, please answer if you see this : 202
6. SYNX - interpretatio_graeca : 196
7. Sawzer - Photon : 194
8. So_ingMachine - Loose Grip : 193
9. aureolin wyvern - horizon : 193
10. sk0 - Gravity Should Be Taken Into Account : 191
11. echo2 - track : 185
12. So_ingMachine - Surgeon's Kintsugi : 184
13. aureolin wyvern - liminal : 174
14. echo2 - lazy aquatic track : 173
15. Lilith 93 - La dolce vita : 168
16. SlickRSTR - Criticized By Some : 168
17. donkerbot - You Are My Angel : 168
18. ESA-kp - Ready2Go : 163
19. Taneb - Sweet Lovely Music : 163
20. ESA-kp - RainAndStones : 162
21. artist - super compo track 9999 : 162
22. scorpionfly - burning question : 159
23. donkerbot - Unfinished RPG Soundtrack : 158
24. Beastcharmer - Deneb Algedi : 156
25. Keres - 1972 : 144
26. Jan Koekepan - Hydrogeneration : 143
27. warden - pop4A : 141
28. HamsterGod - Reality Breaking : 140
29. NEUROTYPE - Monstr iz glubin : 138
30. Nuxs - Yet another fakebit : 134
31. Jonpon - Urichalam : 133
32. ShockWave - Damage : 132
33. EGERME - SIGEZ : 130
34. lipizyaka - svc-24 : 126
35. EGERME - KANAT : 121
36. EdIceCreamArt - Why don't you laugh at me : 114
37. Artinum - Shipwrecked : 112
38. ClintVanWhite - Worth It's Weight in Gold or A Thirst for All Things Commerce : 112
39. o9 - HorrowSnow : 112
40. Rifqi Muzakki - Okupaneki : 103
41. TAKAU - Darkfoot : 102
42. EdIceCreamArt - Miserable puddle of milk : 100
43. a87 - placement new memleak : 94
44. Gdgdgdg Dgdgdgd - file : 89

Tracks 1 and 2 will be included to the SunVox distrinbution!
(track 3 is larger then 256kb in ZIP)
For those participants who need promocodes (for any of my apps) - just email me nightradio@gmail.com

Winners:
donkerbot

Post by donkerbot »

Overall very high quality, well done to all! And of course congratulations to the well-deserved winners. Really great work, it was a good compo this year.
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

[YouTube comment copy-and-paste again:]

Congrats, Logickin and the Philip(p)s! There are many exclamation marks to use!

PhilipBergwerf always has a great handle on arranging orchestral instruments, which, it's worth noting, are synths here, not samples! Under regular zip compression, the entire project condenses to only 35.5 kilobytes! And there are only ten modules at the top level of the project! (Under the surface, there are actually 400 modules if I counted correctly, counting the MetaModules as their components, but the point is they're functionally simplified to ten ready-to-go synths/effects – 125 of the total are just from five copies of a 25-module single-voice cello MetaModule, which make up most of the top-level “Stringorchestra”.) Good example of how with strong-enough compositional skills, you don't necessarily need to construct your own big, sprawling web of a module chain to get a high-quality, full-sounding piece of work out of SunVox... or even to win an official compo, by a fair margin! (Interesting point of contrast: sk0’s “Accretion Disk” has 710 modules just at the surface, without even getting into any MetaModules’ components! And Keres packed everything into a single MetaModule, with some interesting stuff going on if you take a look inside of it!)

It goes without saying that “Spaghetti Express Train” was one of the most novel entries this time around; a fun surprise, standing out against everything else! It's good to see a new point of stylistic diversity enter the range of what's included with SunVox! Logickin nailed the execution with the spaghetti western vibe, and, thanks to the increased limit on filesize, really hit it home with the train samples! The project compresses to JUST within the limit, at a little over 255 kilobytes, so he really made every bit count! The trumpet comprises less than seven of those kilobytes, as it is another impressively expressive, well-utilized, well-put-together, pure synth MetaModule, which is something I'm always happy to see represented!

“Telephone” is kind of a pleasant surprise to see in third – I figured it wouldn't be a *top* pick for many against the stiff competition, even though people all around (myself included) seemed to consistently point to it as a Liked Thing. Glad it's getting the recognition! Its fun, catchy composition and charming theming make it easy to see why it appealed to so many of us! It's a shame the project file is too big to officially include, but It's Included In Our Hearts And That's What Really Matters™. (And also in the votepack, which everyone will still have access to.) ... Actually, looking at it, the project could definitely be shrunken down without meaningfully compromising it... like, the longest phone sample is a lo-fi mono recording loaded as a standard-quality, stereo wav. Converting all the samples to oggs would go a long way, if not all the way. Given that it's already a winner, if it were simply optimized after the fact, is there any chance it could still be included?

Competition really was tough this time, and I had no idea who was actually going to come out on top! If anyone's thinking of only checking out the winners, I encourage you to go listen to the rest of the entries as well – there’s Genuinely Good Music that didn't even crack the top 20! And if you aren't already a user of SunVox, it's FREE (or very cheap for mobile), and if you start feeling it out today, you'll have plenty of time to get the hang of using it so you can join us for the next compo!
sk0

Post by sk0 »

Congratulations to the winners! 🎉
Here are my comments on some entries in this competition:

- EdIceCreamArt - Why don't you laugh at me?: This entry tackles a genre that most SunVox users do not, creating an enigmatic atmosphere while being more musically coherent than last year's "Fairy Kitchen" :)
- PhilipBergwerf - Amsterdam 1907: The delicate programming and orchestration that make it sound like real instruments create a rich impression. This style stood out again this year!
- Philipp Waehnert - Telephone: The sounds made with SunVox's FMX and the effective use of samples that harmonize with them were effective. The composition of the song is well structured, allowing you to stay engaged throughout!
- SYNX - interpretatio_graeca: This is one of the best examples of the potential of combining real instruments and SunVox synths!

Of course, there were so many other excellent entries (such as Trackerbound - 25, which I don't have much to say about but I just enjoyed so much that I gave it a 7). Thank you all for this great opportunity and wonderful music!

Saltbearer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:52 am Good example of how with strong-enough compositional skills, you don't necessarily need to construct your own big, sprawling web of a module chain to get a high-quality, full-sounding piece of work out of SunVox... or even to win an official compo, by a fair margin! (Interesting point of contrast: sk0’s “Accretion Disk” has 710 modules just at the surface, without even getting into any MetaModules’ components!
Thanks for making my entry serve as a foil! Just to clarify, apart from my first participation in 2020, I have never aimed to win the compo. I take part just because it acts as a compulsion for me, a lazy person, to make music, and because my entries possibly can contribute the community. Basically, I've been simply submitting a Dubstep song and a piece of music I feel like to create at that time. These 710+ modules are just needed by me for the process in which I enjoyed music and by which I get satisfied, and aren't required at all to win. If there should be ever a need for me to win in the future for some reason, I wouldn't even imagine making Dubstep. Of course, "Last Day of Winter", which actually tied for first place in 2023, was not created with such an intention.
phils

Post by phils »

Wow, thank you! I never imagined being third in this competition. There are so many great entries. Many of them are far more complex and utilize Sunvox' capabilities to an extend I'm currently unable to understand. Being acknowledged in such a circle is an even greater compliment. Thank you!
Keres

Post by Keres »

Saltbearer: "Keres packed everything into a single MetaModule"

Yes he did, and then he forgets to master it back up to a reasonable volume level because is lazy. also he just used the starting template.

Saltbearer: "o9 - “HorrowSnow” struck me as pretty cool for such a minimalist entry."

Don't let that stuff fall on your hair... it's radioactive! BTW, this was a sample generated with an AI prompt. I don't remember what negatives i used, but i think this was something like... "an ancient alien horn band tunes up in a jazz club as you walk casually walk through a futuristic shopping strip in Paris." im sure all the sax players in that band have six fingers.

"donkerbot gets a couple bonus points for being the only(?) other entrant to have written lyrics"

(?)nope. Clint actually wrote his poem in high school. he told me that his teacher tried to get him to change it and rename it because she didn't like his poetry at all... glad he stuck to his guns. he also told me that the screeching voice at the end his his imitation accent of a small town kid from Louisiana. at first i thought clint was just a nut for writing all this stuff down on paper over the years, but then i heard a deathmetal song he improvised on facebook and since it was straight up country picken' red dirt i remembered my own old rule for artists which is that "if you don't like them but you hear one good thing from them, you might not be judging their other works correctly" so then i invited him over to jam and stuff. I like the idea of a spoken word poem over vicious dark ambient... i tried not to break but it just happened. I like the idea of spoken words against the gears of the machine. I guess that's what we all are these days... just desperate squeaks of human sound against the continuously grinding cog of inevitable death...

"ClintVanWhite and Gdgdgdg Dgdgdgd, stay weird."

we will -=)

Sk0: your tracks don't play on my computer unless i set latency in sunvox to 92ms (4096). I understand that sunvox has the power to magnificent things, but can we please establish some sort of CPU restriction? that being said... nice trax ;)

thanks guys! great compo... btw, compo in record label language means compilation.
a256

Post by a256 »

right, my own comments time, i didn't however listen to all the tracks in full and didn't vote:
was pleasantly surprised to find echo2's "track" quite high up there (at least for me lol); i really liked that one, it kinda reminds me of a .it made in original modplug with maybe some directx effects, but i wasn't expecting higher than 20th.
liked some elements of ESA-kp's "RainAndStones", of course i'd touch it up for myself but still nice!
"Telephone" took me, and looking up quite a few others, by surprise, that was amazing.
"Spaghetti Express Train" was bound to be on or close to the podium, that's for sure, but i found it the "reverb" kinda annoying, thinking to myself in an open air environment (where this kind of music is played i suppose?) it'll be better. i think some won't notice it, but i did... still want to point it out anyway.
once again, i should probably actually listen to all of these tracks, and... maybe i'll do descriptions and opinions of them like acheney did last year... maybe...

phils wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:33 pm Wow, thank you! I never imagined being third in this competition. There are so many great entries. Many of them are far more complex and utilize Sunvox' capabilities to an extend I'm currently unable to understand. Being acknowledged in such a circle is an even greater compliment. Thank you!
i imagine for someone new it's amazing to even reach close to that. great work, and welcome to the forum!
a256

Post by a256 »

also:
Logickin λ wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:31 am
a256 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:45 am (does anyone want me to try, though?)
I do, joining the compo have a lot of advantages:

- Giving you a challenge on writing something interesting giving a limit time, learning to do a task under pressure.
- It is the best time to promote yourself, considering this is the biggest SunVox event for every year.
- This might motivate you to look at the former compo entries, to see what makes a good track, in terms of composition, sound designs, or creative mechanisms, improving your skills.

So… Do it! Let’s see what you can do with SunVox!
highly appreciate the push! couldn't find the time (schedule, where are you?), but i think i'll try next year. :)