SunVox v1.7.3 BETA 2

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
NightRadio
Site Admin

SunVox v1.7.3 BETA 2

Post by NightRadio »

Updated 19 mar 2013
The new testing version 1.7.3 BETA 2 is out!
http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/beta/sunvox1.7.3.beta2.zip
(for Windows, Linux, OSX, PalmOS, Windows Mobile and Maemo)
Русская версия здесь: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2508

What is new:

v1.7.3 BETA 2 bugfix (19 mar 2013):
  • fixed bug with ASIO.
v1.7.3 BETA 2 (18 mar 2013):
  • sound engine optimization;
  • new ASIO driver options;
  • Input Module (Mic/Line-in capture) is now also available for Linux (ALSA), Windows (MME,DirectSound,ASIO), Windows Mobile (with full duplex drivers only) and OSX;
  • extended list of the audio buffer sizes in the Preferences->Audio: 128, 256, 512, 768, 1024, 1280, 1536, 1792, 2048, 2560, 3072, 4096;
  • new options in the Preferences->Audio: Driver, Output Device, Input Device, Frequency;
  • added options for the MultiSynth: Use static note C5 (treat all received notes as C5); Ignore notes with zero velocity;
  • new Pattern Editor function - Slice by cursor;
  • bugs fixed.
v1.7.3 BETA 1 (10 jan 2013):
  • added MIDI import; now you can load any MIDI files directly through the Load Song dialog;
  • added support of the following MIDI commands: Start, Continue, Stop;
  • number of MetaModule User Defined Controllers can be changed from 0 to 13;
  • added MIDI Omni Mode (all MIDI channels will be accepted);
  • new option in the Preferences->User interface: Show virtual keyboard; use it to show or hide virtual text keyboard;
  • scrolling when highlighting in the Sample Editor;
  • per-pattern Mute/Solo (Timeline menu -> Toggle mute / Toggle solo);
  • Vorbis Player is now supports the sample offset commands (09 and 07);
  • added ability to create a new pattern by double clicking on an empty area of the Timeline;
  • new Timeline function - Slice Pattern(s) (knife position = current playing position);
  • new std. pattern effect 23 - set controller value to the random number with range from XX (00..FF) to YY (00..FF);
  • new std. pattern effect 1F - set BPM;
  • new songs: Manwe - Early Fall remake (original by Tangrine); Kostya Mahnev - Midnight; take_my_hand;
  • new simple examples: metamodule_test, metamodule_with_automation, random_ctl_values_with_range;
  • new instrument (pads): moving_pad, vocal_synth, filter_slide_up;
  • new instrument (keyboard): fm2;
  • bugs fixed.
SolarLune

Re: SunVox v1.7.3 BETA 2

Post by SolarLune »

Wow, ability to record! Nice. It would seem that if you set the input device to something other than "Auto" and restart SunVox, it returns back to "Auto".
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

To record directly into windows is such a great thing for me....
thats geat!!!

bkue lue blue
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

It would seem that if you set the input device to something other than "Auto" and restart SunVox, it returns back to "Auto".
Please show me your sunvox_config.ini file
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

Here you go.

EDIT: That's odd - it was doing it the first time I tried it out, but I can't reproduce the bug now. Maybe it's something else, or perhaps I was mistaken.
gilzad

Post by gilzad »

Abso-fing-lutely great!
Input plugin! (had no issues assigning it to a desired device on Debian/x64).
I can tell you, I just had fun with a realtime vocoder! :)
And finally I can use Sunvox's DSPs as a big and complex mastering chain for anything. Not only of course, but also.

The extended list of buffer sizes as a menu feature is great, too! Made it easy for me to do some testings:
I noticed that Sunvox can't override buffer sizes, that are set in the ALSA layer already. That's expected and natural of course. However, things become odd, if SunVox's buffer size (e.g. 1024) goes beyond ALSA's configuration (e.g. 128). So I chose the following configuration. In my .asoundrc (/home/$USER) I have:

Code: Select all

[...]
pcm.amix
{
  type dmix
  slave
  {
   pcm "hw:Loopback,0,0"
   period_size 512 
   periods 3
  }
[...]
And I've configured Sunvox to use the same buffer size. On a rather strong machine I find it works best for my so far most complex tune. But I've also configured my machine to route everything through Jack, since I'm using a firewire soundcard whose drivers are only available for jackd. I know that Renoise runs much faster without the Jackd layer in between. Even with all the neccessary configuration (PAM group, realtime-patched & preemptive kernel, rtirq). So SunVox might run faster, too, if there's no jackd between ALSA and the actual sound device.
I'm not sure if the periods (3) from my alsa configuration are taken into count for calculating the delay. If my formula is right, then (512*3)/44.1 = 34.83 ms. So 11 ms would only be true, if the amount of periods was 1. If at all, it's just a little cosmetic thing.

Size of an x64 Sunvox binary for linux: 1MB. Capabilities: Endless.
Darkhog

Post by Darkhog »

You know Alsa's dmix is obsolete right? There are numerous issues with it, especially on Realtek's audio chips (often marked in Linux as "HDA Intel"), including: "stealing" sound from other apps, so you can't e.g. have Audacity and Sunvox playing at the same time, sound clipping, etc.

Those issues are not present in PulseAudio. It has wonderful software mixer and I never experienced any issues with PA itself (those which I experienced were result of sloppy coding of other apps/tools like XVidCap, but running it via padsp solved it).
gilzad

Post by gilzad »

Hi Darkhog. Can you provide a link that states the obsolescence? Just wondering, because until today Drlebian comes without pa and uses alsas mixing. I'll write a separate article about all the issues with mixing layers and why I'd avoid pa on an audio workstation. For basic multimedia it's okay, I use it at work with its eq and such. But it has serious issues offering separate buffering for its applications, if its lower layer (e.g. jack) is running with low latency. padsp would only come into play for applications which still use /dev/dsp but alsa always had a compatibility layer for that, too. Anyway, Sunvox is not even accessing pulseaudio for sound output (and wouldn't benefit from that imho). Actually, its "auto" values are derived my dmix settings and I only wanted to address how to avoid buffer size issues, now that you can set them so easily.
GeMOrtaL Ghost

Post by GeMOrtaL Ghost »

i'm soo glad to learn of the new input module. ?? can u use it to record samples in the sampler module?? i am having trouble with recording at all , , the secondary window with the dos screen says cannot find file when i press stop after recording, , every time. . PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! anyone?
.;. phI-TRY
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

GeMOrtaL,
right now there is only one way to record the sound from the Input module.
Create two modules: Input and Sampler.
Then connect Input to Sampler.
Then press Rec button under the Sampler controllers. And audio recording will be started. Then press it again and that's it. Now your sound is in the Sampler.

REC button near the PLAY - it is only for music events (notes and automation) recording. Not for audio.
GeMOrtaL Ghost

Post by GeMOrtaL Ghost »

AWESOME!!!!! ive been trying to get this program to record my own samples since 2011!!! lol . . thanks very much . . .my days are now filled with purpose! I can't get enough of this program . . i use it more and more everyday. . . Thanks for the help. . and. . are there going to be alternative recording methods introduced into sunvox in near future?
.;. phI-TRY
fuzzix

Post by fuzzix »

It should be noted you can also record Input and your FX chain by connecting the last module in your chain to the sampler :)
irc.esper.net
#sunvox
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

are there going to be alternative recording methods introduced into sunvox in near future?
Yes :)
It should be noted you can also record Input and your FX chain by connecting the last module in your chain to the sampler
Exactly :) You can record any modules connected to the Sampler.
Kolba

Post by Kolba »

Hi, thanks for this great program. I'm looking for my next music software and I've spent hours sizing up different trackers. SunVox is my favourite so far, there is just one feature that is sorely missed from the other trackers I've tried: pattern follow mode for an entire song. Is this planned for a future update?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

pattern follow mode for an entire song. Is this planned for a future update?
I'm afraid it is not possible at all :) Because you can't say definitely which pattern to show next. Second pattern on the timeline may be shifted or intersected with other patterns.