Abstraction of Modules

SolarLune

Abstraction of Modules

Post by SolarLune »

Hey. I was thinking about the current modules and the modules planned for the future, and I was thinking about the level of abstraction that was present. Basically, I was wondering what anyone thought about separating modules that are planned to be combined? For example, the MetaModule is currently kind of a combination module and a SunVox Player module. Perhaps it would be best to separate these functions out to other modules?

The Combination module would be good for making synth or effect setups (i.e. it opens a pop-up Module Editor with an In and Out module). You could easily set up a synth. In addition, you could drag a module onto the Combination module to open it up and place it somewhere inside. The MetaModule already does this in some sense.

The SunVox Player module would do, again, what the MetaModule already does - allow you to play back SunVox project files.

The Sequencer module would open a pop-up pattern editor that would allow you to edit a pattern. Connected synths would play this pattern out (again, kind of already exists with the MetaModule, as you can open a SunVox file and change the pattern within, and then load that into the MetaModule).

It's planned to add an Arpeggiator to the MultiSynth - maybe it would be best to make that its own module?

I'm not sure, but I think having separate modules that do relatively simple tasks would be better than less, more complex modules that do multiple tasks. Thoughts?
organic io

Re: Abstraction of Modules

Post by organic io »

I agree completely with this.
gigi

Post by gigi »

me too
convergent

Post by convergent »

And me. Interface of MetaModule is too custom. I would be much better to fold module grids (or create tabs for each combination + one for the whole song).
Also effects for bypassing, muting module and so on will get in use.
jph

Post by jph »

I also agree that smaller modular levels would be very cool,. like a physical modular where we can patch up different sounding synths from smaller components than the current ones (I have been dreaming about this one; http://pittsburghmodular.com/foundation/ ).

But whatever, the level of creating possible currently is AMAZING so rock on, and do whatever you like!
organic io

Post by organic io »

jph wrote: (I have been dreaming about this one; http://pittsburghmodular.com/foundation/ ).
that looks sweet, but only useful for rich people. Wtf?? Oscillators are about $200 each and then another $150 or so for each effect, depending on what you want.
jph

Post by jph »

Hell yes, hardware modulars are EXPENSIVE, however it can be thought of as an investment. All analog synths hold their value or go up, in my experience. I had a Yamaha CS-15, that was the synth I learned analog/subtractive synthesis with. I got it for $300 like 10-15 years back, and sold it around this time last year for $700 when I needed some quick cash. (to a cool techno producer in Toronto, so it went to a good home, I still miss it though :( )

SunVox is a great value, I payed for the Android version, and now suggest it to all my musically inclined friends.

I am also looking at this German micro-modular; http://www.anyware-instruments.de/
it is a nice desktop system with loads of routing possibilities,. in a nice small package. (laptop sized!)

I just need to find the cash to get one! Just a wish-list currently.