SunVox And Rhythm

annon

SunVox And Rhythm

Post by annon »

Hey - I'm new to SunVox and I'm not entirely sure how one goes about programing rhythm in SunVox. It seems I can control it somewhat by increasing and decreasing the space in between notes but that seems limited to sixteenth notes. I'm sorry I can't phrase this better. Thank you for reading, any help is much appreciated. Oh yeah, I'm using the current most recent mac version, if that matters.
MissahSombrero

Re: SunVox And Rhythm

Post by MissahSombrero »

open pattern properties, change the number of lines in a pattern or number of ticks in a line from there. you can change the BPM in song properties. you can also use the delay command to get triplets etc.
annon

Post by annon »

Ah, okay. Thank you! It would be nice if you could just program the notation or something, that would be a lot easier.
Xuriik

Post by Xuriik »

A swing/groove setting, yeah, this would be nice.

I've noticed it's not a popular feature in trackers, but lsdj and renoise have it, so it shouldn't be hard to implement. Otherwise, just quadruple your pattern length and count manually. That can get really complicated though.
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

Xuriik wrote:A swing/groove setting, yeah, this would be nice.

I've noticed it's not a popular feature in trackers, but lsdj and renoise have it, so it shouldn't be hard to implement. Otherwise, just quadruple your pattern length and count manually. That can get really complicated though.
A better idea (faster and more efficient) would be to modulate the ticks per line every 2 or so lines. Like this:

|A2 -- 10 000F 0007|
|C3 -- 10 0000 0000|
|E3 -- 10 000F 0005|
|G3 -- 10 0000 0000|

The command 0F controls ticks per line.
jcage

Post by jcage »

annon wrote:Ah, okay. Thank you! It would be nice if you could just program the notation or something, that would be a lot easier.
A lot of information is not contained in notation, ie. playing styles and phrasing. In a tracker, we do things the tracker way, thats why we love trackers. A piano roll editior is, however, on the wishlist afaik. Its more like hacking music - the trackers handbook would be a good starting point imho. See http://www.modplug.com/mods/handbook/handbook.htm
annon

Post by annon »

Is it possible to change tempo in a song? I mean have different patterns in the same song play a different tempos.
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

i am not totally qualified to answer...
but the command 0f in std affect changes the tempo in all the patterns but dont know yet how it relates to bpm...

if not so helpful hopefully it is a starting point...

briiimps!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

You can change the speed (ticks per line) and BPM through 0F effect, which is described here: http://www.warmplace.ru/wiki/sunvox:man ... ern_format
samrai katt kovboy

sorry but i feel a little bit stupid...

still dont really understand how it works?
if i am in say 125 bpm and i want to change it to say 110 bpm after two beats how do i do that?
i understand how i change the tempos but not really into what bpm, how does the changes relate to each other?

may the sun shine just so, from any angle perplexing perpetreting wisdom...

easy and out...
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Code: Select all

NN VV SS CCEE XXYY
-- -- -- 000F 007D   Set BPM to 125 (7D in hexadecimal)
-- -- -- 0000 0000
-- -- -- 0000 0000
-- -- -- 0000 0000
-- -- -- 0000 0000   Second beat
-- -- -- 0000 0000
-- -- -- 0000 0000
-- -- -- 0000 0000
-- -- -- 000F 006E   Set BPM to 110 (6E in hexadecimal)
samrai katt kovboy

thank you...

i studied and read and found it pretty hard, and still dont understand exactly how it works, but i learned how to calculate it with the calculator,
and the frowny forehead is now eased and sailing into the bpms on a steady leg towards everchanging tempos...
ahh maybe now the songs being made will be impossible to listen to with the beat going from line to line in different speeds!

thank you again

and hope you had a good vacation...

easy and out