File format .sunvox

vlad12354

File format .sunvox

Post by vlad12354 »

Hi everyone!.
I'm a newbe in trackers and sort of, be patient with me XD.
I'm intereseted in de format of files .sunvox and you ask me why?
I was thinking in connect an algorithmic compositor with de sunvox-dll. I have my own representation of music (more logic) and want to convert to .sunvox.
thank you for your time and help.

PS: Great app the sunvox, spend a whole night "playing".
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: File format .sunvox

Post by NightRadio »

Hello, vlad!

At the moment i can't provide *.sunvox specification to you. But in the next version of SunVox DLL there will be special functions for working with patterns and song saving.
vlad12354

Post by vlad12354 »

thanks.
Keep up the good work!

PS: At the moment = right now i cant but in future i will?
Darkhog

Post by Darkhog »

Why you don't release file format specifications? From specifications to fully working clone is long way, y'know. Also releasing specifications would make possible to make sunvox playback into popular module libraries like libModPlug, FMOD or BASS. Which would popularize this format more as it has great music quality and extremaly small size, which would make it great for demos and games that need to retain small file size (e.g. games made for 64k compos, etc.)
Juanjo

Post by Juanjo »

Hi.
I need to export from Sunvox to any of the Unity compatible trackers formats (.it .s3m .xm .mod):

http://unity3d.com/support/documentatio ... dules.html
Darkhog

Post by Darkhog »

Hmmm..... no.

Better chances you have to export first to WAV, then convert to OGG or MP3.
thinkyhead

Not too complicated

Post by thinkyhead »

If you hexdump a sunvox file it's pretty easy to figure out the file format. It's basically old-school little-endian IFF with specialized chunks. I just had to do this so I can export sunvox format from my app FretPet. Conversion from MIDI is probably not too tricky. Good luck creating the generator values you'd need to emulate all the GM sounds though, haha!

The only weird thing about the format is it looks like the NAME chunk writes out many more bytes than it needs just for the Song's Name property. Probably this is just a bug in Sunvox 1.7.

Have fun! And just in case you need one, here's an IFF file parser that can parse .sunvox files... http://www.thinkyhead.com/parseiff/