Simple granular synth trichnique

Saltbearer

Simple granular synth trichnique

Post by Saltbearer »

Been using this for going on two years now, including within my 2019 comp entry "Bubble Blinders". It's as simple as hooking an arp-enabled metamodule containing (and exposing the controllers of) a MultiSynth, and one C5 trigger on one repeating line, into a Sampler. It's saved inside a project for the sake of preserving nonstandard module transparency.

Limitations: One voice per-trigger-within-copy-of-metamodule, Sampler volume envelopes can't be automated.

Try it with different Sampler envelope shapes, different metamodule BPMs (you can get above 800 via pattern commands), copies of the meta for polyphony (incl. chords within copies), copies of the sample for different envelopes, and triggering multiple samples or even synths simultaneously! Remember to crank up Sampler polyphony and probably disable sustain for those smoother fogs. Peek at the waveform editor to see exactly what's going on + the volume envelope to see if voices are being cut off sharply.

[75 people downloaded this while "Apply velocity to project" was unticked when it really shouldn't have been]
Attachments
kinder_egg.sunvox
(2.75 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Last edited by Saltbearer on Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
AutumnCheney

Re: Simple granular synth trichnique

Post by AutumnCheney »

Awesome! Granular synthesis can produce some very ethereal sounds, and I'm glad that you managed to discover a way to impliment it in SunVox!

On a different note, I also am glad that you discovered that you can set higher BPM values than 800 on the MetaModule. Now I can achieve my dreams of creating hypertone music in SunVox! Theoretically, then, this means that the maximum BPM achievable in SunVox using sixteenth notes and a TPL of one is 65.535 * 4 * 6 = 1.572.864.
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

I didded a viddedeodeo LOOK AT IT LISTEN TO IT

Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

now it's PRINTERS

narF

Post by narF »

Wow!! This looks amazing! I've been looking for something that can sound like Cloud but in Sunvox. This looks like it is! Will try it right away!
narF

Post by narF »

You say there's a way to make it play multiple notes at the same time? (polyphonic is the word i think?)
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

AFAICT, for the time being, only through workarounds. Hook the retrig meta into the instrument plus transposed multisynths which are also hooked into the instrument, or put a chord inside the retrig meta instead of a C5, or just use multiple retrig metas + copies of the synth if necessary.
narF

Post by narF »

Sorry, what I meant was more for using a MIDI keyboard. Is it possible to play 2 or more notes with the MIDI keyboard at the same time?
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

Probably, technically, with many instances of the modules and a convoluted construction of MultiSynth curves to gate and direct inputs. :P

Directly from one retrig meta, unfortunately, it doesn't seem like that's currently possible, as it can only loop a single instance of the internal patterns.

Hmm... maybe it's time to suggest retrig as a native function of the MultiSynth?
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

it turns out you can use the multictl to make the bpm go beyond 800, so i created a modified version of this module :)
Attachments
So_ing Machine Rx3.sunsynth
(5.4 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

Wait, 32768 bpm?! We might find a new oscillator type.
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

this is amazing! :Yahoo!:
I expected very choppy playback, but when loading a vocal into a sampler it played very smooth with bpm:455 , random_phase:0, and playing with the phase-param.

Great job..I thought granular synthesis would take extra development from nightradio's side, but it turns out it was already there :D
teamoth

Post by teamoth »

Almost a year late, but just wanted to post a thanks to Saltbearer. Thank you!
Rondobotic

Post by Rondobotic »

We really need some of you genius people to host some live sessions to teach and run us through how you make some of these incredible metamodules...
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

That would be great. Pavel Ti's YouTube channel is probably the closest we have to this right now.