iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro 9.7 ?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
midi

iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro 9.7 ?

Post by midi »

So I sold all of my hardware synths, samplers, fx, etc in favor of using only SunVox.

I've been getting my chops on the PC version as well as the iPhone app. My plan is to graduate to an iPad for full time use.

My question is -- should I go with the new Pro 9.7, or do you think the Air 2 is fully sufficient?

I have absolutely no gauge as far as how much CPU is really necessary on this platform. And I realize this is fairly arbitrary, because everyone runs their sessions differently. I do have Audiobus & some IAA apps I might want to integrate.

Experiences anyone?
Neurotok

Re: iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro 9.7 ?

Post by Neurotok »

As far as I know sunvox will run even on a dishwasher ;) My 4 gen iPad runs sunvox fluently so I would pick air 2 and bought some nice midi controller cuz on the iOS sunvox have support for them.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

It is possible for sunvox to run out of RAM on some tablets but it would only happen in a hardcore project.

For example, an extremely long song with very many patterns and FF (256) modules with many deep metamodules amongst them.

I sold my Ipad2 a few years back to get an android tablet with more RAM for this reason (and because I needed to organise samples in separate directories) but I think Ipad air 2 has 2GB of RAM so it should easily be enough for large projects.

The PC version is usually the most powerful in terms of CPU and RAM (and render to .wav export quality)...depends on the PC specs.

If the price is not an issue I'd go with the ipad pro 9.7.
midi

Post by midi »

i appreciate the feedback!!!
Mivo

Post by Mivo »

Using only a tablet for making electronic music, and for editing recorded music (of my acoustic instruments), is pretty much my target goal, too. Kind of slow-going so far, but it's in part because I lack the discipline. :)

Anyway, I have an Air 2 and I don't think you'll run into performance issues. The 9.7 Pro has some neat features (like the four speakers), so unless the price difference isn't huge, I'd get an Air 2. Actually, my plan is to get a 2nd gen Pro (the 12" one) because I'd prefer the larger workspace. The current Pro model is kind of lackluster, though, hence the waiting for the 2nd gen, perhaps late this year (also gives me more time to change my mind a few dozen more times).

Android I kind of ruled out (I have a Nexus 7) because iOS has some remarkable audio software other than Sunvox (like Aria Pro, Audiobus, lots of synths) that I want to use, plus some non-audio stuff that I use for work and writing, but if I only used Sunvox, Andriod would be a strong candidate for me due to its openness.