Effect Controller #00 & Quantization

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
Paprika

Effect Controller #00 & Quantization

Post by Paprika »

Hi Everyone, new to the forum here. Very glad to be here.

I'm using SunVox and have found that when recording MIDI notes 2 things happen:

A) Controller Effect Number 00 seems to be recorded and have different values. Which Controller is #00? I don't see this CC specified in the Manual.
B) When playing back the recorded MIDI notes it sounds different. I am not sure if this is just a consequence of timing quantization and/or something else being altered in the input MIDI events. In the case of quantization, does the MIDI ON/OFF events jumps to the nearest multiple of the tick number set in the project (eg. multiple of 6 ticks or 16th notes), or just quantized to 1 tick earlier or later in time? Is there any other aspect of the MIDI events that are being altered or quantized?

Thank you,
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Effect Controller #00 & Quantization

Post by NightRadio »

Hello! :)

A)
Controller (CC) 00 is just "nothing" :) you can ignore this value.
But in the EE field you can see some values from 40 to 5F. It is the note delay from 0 to 100% of the line.

B)
Midi events are just quantized by ticks (it is why you see these 40-5F delay effects in the EE field). But I will add some other midi recording options in the new SunVox updates
Paprika

Re: Effect Controller #00 & Quantization

Post by Paprika »

Thank you Alexander for your clarification.

As a suggestion for B) , it would be desirable to be able to record/edit note length beyond the line quantization limit. Further, the Start event of notes and the End event of notes could be visually represented by means of filling the space (as it is currently done for held notes) from 0 to 100% of the line, and this could be edit in a way similar to the xxyy drawing mode, but this time in a vertical fashion. Edit options for quantization and randomization (within % ranges established by the user) of Start and End events would be useful as well.