[Technique] Arpeggio rising in pitch (without samples)

The Handle

[Technique] Arpeggio rising in pitch (without samples)

Post by The Handle »

This wasn't necessarily a metamodule, so I decided to post this here. I managed to make a rising arpeggio WITHOUT the need for samples. I fed a saw into an lfo and inverted it through another chain, so that when the square being played through the lfo is stopped, the saw starts (the pauses between the lfo's cuts are filled with the saw). Since the saw being inverted is simply sustained, it cancels out the saw that passes through the lfo, leaving the saw free to "flow" through the cuts the lfo makes.Take a look at the sunvox project below for a visual example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/602 ... 003.sunvox

I have also included an exported track on soundcloud that demonstrates what this sounds like:
https://soundcloud.com/the-handle/lfo-e ... g-arpeggio

Note that the LFO's frequency is what controls the speed of the arpeggio, so you can change the units to Hz or ms to get even faster arpeggios :)
Since the saw sounds like it's an octave above the square, it creates an arpeggio. You can also just change the relative note of a second square module and use that instead of the saw (though this method will work with any synth).

This one had a very similar setup. I changed the frequency units to Hz and swapped out the saw for a square (relative note: 3), then (while playing the rising arpeggio) I messed with the frequency while recording to a sampler (I used the sampler to record my work, then play it back so I could export it as a track).
https://soundcloud.com/the-handle/the-h ... experiment

The setup is simple enough that you should be able to do it for phones and tablets as well ^ ^
nopcorp

Re: [Technique] Arpeggio rising in pitch (without samples)

Post by nopcorp »

Thanks, Handle.

Gladly appreciated. :)
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Please keep them coming.
Did post a link to the post on Musical Android as I just love these type of specialized small tutorials / ideas and think that there is a lot of people that do.

Bob your head to the LFO's...
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
xaccrocheur

Post by xaccrocheur »

Dude, that is one mean sounding tracker arp.

BTW, is there a way to do a *proper* arpeggio in sunvox ? You know, the opposite of what we tracker heads call an arpeggio : You start with a chord, and end up with a melody...?
Yassin Philip - Check out My music =@
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

xaccrocheur wrote:Dude, that is one mean sounding tracker arp.

BTW, is there a way to do a *proper* arpeggio in sunvox ? You know, the opposite of what we tracker heads call an arpeggio : You start with a chord, and end up with a melody...?
An arpeggio (by definition) is a chord of notes where the notes are played in sequence (they are played individually, following the chord) so I'm not sure what you mean by "*proper* arpeggio". Please clarify.
nopcorp

Post by nopcorp »

Handle, I think what he means is: Let's say we have a measure of 4/4. And there is a repeated melody or bassline repeating every bar. But these can just be programmed of course. But maybe, xaccrocheur is referring to is the way a arpeggiator works on a synthesizer.
xaccrocheur

Real Arpeggio

Post by xaccrocheur »

nopcorp, thanks, this is what I mean. I humbly think it would be a good new module candidate. Maybe it can already be done as a Metamodule, given that it seems so powerful (I'm flabbergasted by the quality and good-soundingness of the MMs already offered in the thread) ; here is how it would work :
  1. You start with a chord. That is a minimum of two (one, actually, read on) tracks, each playing a different note
  2. Then before the instrument, in the sound network, you add this "real arpeggio" module
  3. Then in the track, you replace the instrument number with the arp module number.
  4. Now the tracks send notes to the arp module, and the arp module sends notes to the instrument
The arp module could have at least 4 controls
  1. Direction of the arpeggio (up / down)
  2. tempo (synced to song tempo / manual : value)
  3. repeat on / off.
  4. common used arpeggio patterns to select
But wait, we could also have full control over the phrase, by entering a string using the syntax quoted below, from qmidiarp in a text field (this last option is the full superdupercool overkill arpeggiator, a simple arp with common phrase presets would already be good) - It's really not as complicated as it sounds (I'm talking about usage, not implementation of course) ;)
Editing Arp patterns

Arp patterns are defined by a text sequence containing the notes themselves as numbers along with control changes for chord, tempo, velocity and octave changes. When the Edit pattern button in the pattern panel is clicked, the current pattern preset appears as a text input line. The edited pattern can be stored in the preset list by clicking on the Store pattern button. The currently active pattern can be removed from the preset list by clicking on the Remove pattern button. All preset patterns are immediately saved in the .qmidiarprc resource file when a pattern is stored or removed, and the new pattern list is made available to the other arps in the tab bar. Pattern presets are automatically loaded on each application start.

The syntax for the pattern text is as follows:

0..9 : Note indices
+ : One octave up
- : One octave down
t : One semitone up
g : One semitone down
= : Reset to standard octave and semitone
> : Double tempo
< : Half tempo
. : Reset to standard tempo
( ) : Chord, begin..end, e.g. (012) would be a chord of the
lowermost three notes in the buffer
/ : Volume up by 20%
\ : Volume down by 20%
d : Double length
h : Half length
p : Pause

Any token is valid until the end of a pattern is reached. The token > will e.g. double the tempo for all following notes of the pattern. When the loop jumps back to the beginning of the pattern, the tempo is reset to its initial value, i.e. a quarter note.

For instance, the entry >>0 will play sixteenths and arpeggiate up through a chord played on the keyboard, but only due to the repeat mode. >(0123) will play whole chords up to the polyphony in parentheses, i.e. 4. If more notes than 4 are pressed, let's say 6, the repeat mode again does that the first repetition will play notes 0123, the second will play 1234, the third 2345.

Since version 0.5.1, you can also repeat the 0 note within a chord and change semitones or octaves between those, for instance

(0ttt0tttt0)

would play a minor chord even with only a single note pressed on the keyboard. These composed chords are displayed as blue streaks on the arp screen. This new feature was inspired by a request done by gionnico in the feature request tracker.
In fact, with this implementation, we would only need a single note in the track to trigger / build complex arpeggios 8)
xaccrocheur

Post by xaccrocheur »

Quite dissapointed that nobody replied about this Arpeggiator proposal.. :(
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

xaccrocheur wrote:Quite dissapointed that nobody replied about this Arpeggiator proposal.. :(
Kinda forgot about it to be honest. I'll read the post and do some research later in the week. I'm not a programmer, but I can see if I can come up with something, especially now that we have the pitch shifter module.
spanjerberg

Post by spanjerberg »

Hey guys,

I downloaded the original file and tried to expand the idea to an arpeggiator with more than 2 frequencies. It was quite a hassle (since SunVox is focused around making music, it lacks some powerful programming tools (like comparative logic)). But! I managed to construct two methods of arpeggiating 1232-style.
Here is a link to soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jspanjerberg/arpeggio-1232-test
SunVox file attached.

I'm on a train now, next stop is in 2 minutes, so I'll elaborate later, if people are interested.
Attachments
Arpeggio 1232 - 2 methods.sunvox
(15.47 KiB) Downloaded 539 times
spanjerberg

Post by spanjerberg »

Arrived safely on location.

So, method 1 uses some techniques I saw used in 'LFOlab' - a post made recently. It uses the generator, dirty mode, with all sample values set to 1. This generator now gives off a 'signal' of a constant value of 1. This signal is then modified by two squarewave LFO's, the second LFO being delayed a 1/4 phase of whatever the frequency for the LFO is. When you add these two waves, the resulting wave has three stages (it resembles the victory stand from athletics _--``--_).
Next I used two seperate bitcrushers to force this signal either to 0 or 1. The first crusher does this when the three-stage signal is stage 2 or higher, the second crusher only responds when the signal reaches stage 3. These on/off signals are smoothed and then sent to seperate modifier-modules (which are simply *-operators) and act as envelopes. With some tricks with inversing generator outputs, we get a 1232 arpeggio (albeit a slightly choppy one).

Stage 1 = [generator 1]
Stage 2 = [generator 2] + ![generator 1]
Stage 3 = [generator 3] + ![generator 2]

When we add stage 2 to stage 1, we get [generator 1] + ![generator 1] + [generator 2]. We are left with [generator 2]. Same process for adding stage 3 to stage 2+1.
In the end, we get the sequence [1][2][3][2] etc. You can set each individual generator's waveform and pitch. You can modify the base frequency by the effect 01 (pitch bend up) in the tracker window. You can modify the speed by adjusting the value on MultiCtl.

Method 2 uses sound2ctl to directly modify the second osc parameter on the analog generator. We can remove the original (& constant) frequency by adding the inverse. We then get [modified freq] + [base freq] + ![base freq]. The base freqs cancel each other out and we are left with [modified freq].
This method is a bit harder to set individual pitches, also only 1 choice of waveform. It sounds less choppy though. The base pitch is modifiable via the tracker window (again, effect 01) and the speed is adjustable via the MultiCtl.
foodeater

Post by foodeater »

spanjerberg wrote:Hey guys,

I downloaded the original file and tried to expand the idea to an arpeggiator with more than 2 frequencies. It was quite a hassle (since SunVox is focused around making music, it lacks some powerful programming tools (like comparative logic)). But! I managed to construct two methods of arpeggiating 1232-style.
Here is a link to soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jspanjerberg/arpeggio-1232-test
SunVox file attached.

I'm on a train now, next stop is in 2 minutes, so I'll elaborate later, if people are interested.
cool! i hadn't thought to do that with the bit crusher. i'm going to have to mess with it some to figure it out more.

you can also use the square wave with the duty all the way to one side or the other rather than the dirty wave although i don't know if it makes a difference. :)

i was thinking about running some multi-synths in series with different transpose values to make an arp. maybe use some some 1 line echoes that would run 1 multi synth though a differently transposed multi synth one on each new line of the pattern.
spanjerberg

Post by spanjerberg »

Hmm, that should actually work... gonna try...

First problem I run into is controlling the moment a note in the arpeggio stops. Maybe it is possible with the cut command, but that kind of defeats the whole original point of having your effects lane free so you can use pitch effects. Or you could set the envelope of the note to be short, so the arpeggio won't overlap. I think it would be a bit of a challenge to really make the arpeggio legato (meaning if you set the arp high speed the notes are connected, and when you set it on a low speed the notes are connected).
Attachments
MultiSynth TEst.sunvox
(7.26 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
xaccrocheur

Post by xaccrocheur »

I made a setup that allows me to record real complex arpeggios using qmidiarp, like this:
qMidiarp and SunVox
qMidiarp and SunVox
arp.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 10504 times
Hours of fun playing with the controllers while the arpeggio runs, pressing record at any time. You should try it!

Of course the real achievement, would be to make SunVox send MIDI chords to qMidiArp, and then have qMidiArp send MIDI Arpeggios back to SunVox :)