sample offset in frames

samrai katt kovboy

sample offset in frames

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

am a little bit curious how the std effect sample offset in frames works...
get the samples to stutter etc, but would like the knowledge to control it...

crash burn into clouds of sprinkly gladness was the advice she gave me... then turned and walked into the car, revving up the engine and sped away.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
MissahSombrero

Re: sample offset in frames

Post by MissahSombrero »

it splits the sample into 256, rather than 07 command which splits the sample into 100.
so 090040 is start sample from 128 'chunks' into it (i think). in the manual its a little confusing for me.
hope that is right.
samrai katt kovboy

thank you...
organic io

Post by organic io »

I'm not sure that explains it very well.

As I understand it:

07 - set sample offset in percent from 0000 to 8000... So for example 4000 will always be 50% into the sample no matter whether the sample is 1 second long or 40 seconds long

09 - set sample offset in frames. Think of frames as chunks of sound data. The longer a sample is, the more frames it has.

So for example if you have a drumloop that is 4 measures long, if you set the offset by command 07 at 2000, it will start on the second measure (25% of the way into the sample)

Let's say the length in frames of the same loop is 400 (arbitrary number for simplicity)
If you use 09 at 100 on the same sample, it will also start on the second measure (25%) ...

However the difference comes if you then edit the sample later on ...

Let's say you deleted the second two measures of the sample.. making the whole sample only 2 measures of a drumloop

After that, if you set the offset by command 07 at 2000 then it will start halfway through the first measure (25% of your newly truncated loop)

However, if you set 09 at 100 again, it will still start at the second measure (which is now 50% of the way through the sample)

Another simpler way of putting it is:

07 -percent is a relative reference
09 -frames is an absolute reference.

It's easy to figure out which to use, when you click at various positions in the sample, it shows the value for both percentage and frames... Just remember if you use percentage and then edit the sample length later on you may get unexpected results!

However, percentage is easier to work with if you already know something about the sample, such as a 1 measure drumloop which is played evenly, you can easily trigger 0000, 2000, 4000, 6000, to start at beat 1, 2, 3, 4, and not have to even bother with the absolute (frame) values.

Anyway I have rambled way too much and I have job work to do !!!
samrai katt kovboy

well that explained it perfectly.
and thank you for the time spent.

easy times...
organic io

Post by organic io »

You're welcome, glad it could help.