recording automation question

MissahSombrero

recording automation question

Post by MissahSombrero »

I find the live recording of sunvox slider movements a little problematic at the moment because after you have recorded say filter cutoff slider movements you end up with an extra track filled with strange commands. often the new track containing these commands is longer or shorter than the pattern with the note data so you have to go back and adjust the length of the slider movement commands pattern and then push the commands forward or backwards depending on whether you lengthened or shortened that pattern. also, if you want to tweak the slider movements you recorded with step editing it is extremely difficult to understand. so this is my question:

will it be possible in future sunvox updates to record directly to normal controller commands in the same pattern as the note data? for example, sunvox would be able to detect that filter (module 2) is connected to generator (module 1), then it would detect that generator (module 1) note data is in a particular group of patterns, add another track in those patterns and place the recorded movements of filter cutoff alongside module 1 note data. then you could choose show levels and adjust, tweak your recording as you please. all the slider movements would be recorded as 02 02 .... module 02, slider 2 (filter cutoff frequency). this could be problematic if each pattern contains more than one modules note data but even if it recorded to a new pattern, it would still use the normal commands. I guess the other way would be to record to custom filter cutoff envelope, after envelopes for all controllers has been implemented.

In renoise it's pretty good system, you can choose whether you want to record to custom automation envelope or to pattern commands. if you are using a high BPM value then record to pattern commands is probably best but if you are using a slow BPM then record to automation envelope makes it sounds very smooth, you don't get the jumping from one value to another as it plays through from one line to the next.

know what I'm saying? hope I'm being clear about it. it's quite hard to describe haha!
organic io

Re: recording automation question

Post by organic io »

I think it would definitely be more useful if it just recorded into 1 track column instead of an entire pattern.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

I see two questions here.

1) Record to the current pattern (not to the new). This feature is in my plans. But right now i can't say when this will be implemented, sorry.
2) Record automation to one track instead of multiple tracks. You can enable this mode now. Just go to the Main menu -> Preferences -> Recording -> Controller quantization = YES.
MissahSombrero

Post by MissahSombrero »

hey thanks. I had no idea about controller quntization
organic io

Post by organic io »

Me neither! The wording doesn't describe what it does very well. I'll definitely have to take a look at that :)