SunVox Bugs

jmstone

Re: SunVox Bugs

Post by jmstone »

Minor bug: On android, in the timeline, it is possible to scroll (apparently infinitely) in any direction away from the tracks - so I guess it might be possible to get lost!!?, Slightly worse is that if you zoom out by pinching the screen, at some point (once the tracks are as small as they can be visually) Sunvox will crash.
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

Deleting songs via the Load Song menu doesn't seem to be working anymore. I'm running the latest version, by the way - SunVox 1.7.2.
jmstone

Post by jmstone »

Also on android - when I press the home button, although sunvox keeps running according to task manager, when I open it again, it seems to have forgotten the song I was working on and asks to reload it.

Secondly - volume module inverse amplitude doesn't seem to work

Thirdly - with the new metamodule (very nice!) my edited "user defined" controllers didn't save. I think I didn't save as a *.sunsynth though.. maybe that was the problem? If so, maybe metamodule should put the correct extension on the name?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Deleting songs via the Load Song menu doesn't seem to be working anymore.
Fixed now. Please redownload :)
volume module inverse amplitude doesn't seem to work
Hm.. It works perfectly for me. Tested on Android and Linux desktop.
with the new metamodule (very nice!) my edited "user defined" controllers didn't save.
And again all works fine for me. Can you give me detailed instruction how to reproduce this bug?
jmstone

Post by jmstone »

What does inverse amplitude actually do then? I expected it to make things quieter as I increase the gain but it doesn't do this?

The metamodule bug - I loaded a song as a metamodule, clicked controllers and assigned them, then clicked save on the module. I couldn't save with a sunsynth suffix. When I loaded the new module into a new song the controller assignments weren't visible.
jmstone

Post by jmstone »

Ah.. just managed to save synth correctly. I can do it from the dropdown menu not from the save button on the module parameters window.. which unexpectedly saves it as a song rather than a synth.
organic io

Post by organic io »

Hey Nightradio, I'm having some bugs on Windows Mobile.
This is with 1.7.2 final (bugfix release), on Windows ce.net 4.2 (Mobilepro 900)

When pressing "Load" in a sampler, a Windows error message pops up:

Code: Select all

cannot delete '.sunvox_files_preview': Cannot read from the source file or disk
(Once I close the error message, it still loads a sample just fine)

When exiting the program:

cannot delete '.sunvox_show_layers': Cannot read from the source file or disk

In addition to these errors, I also got one more error when launching Sunvox, but this was in the previous version 1.7.2 final (before bugfix). I didn't note what the error was.

It did this after installing Sunvox over the previous version, but I also tried removing Sunvox and re-installing it, and it still gave these errors.
organic io

Post by organic io »

It also pops up an error when I press the record button .... I didn't note it. Let me know if you need the name and any of the console output
FreeFull

Post by FreeFull »

When I grab the right edge of the Sunvox window and resize it quickly enough, Sunvox segfaults.
Linux x86-64, no errors in terminal other than "Segmentation fault"
organic io

Post by organic io »

FreeFull wrote:When I grab the right edge of the Sunvox window and resize it quickly enough, Sunvox segfaults.
Linux x86-64, no errors in terminal other than "Segmentation fault"
Wow, that's not good!

Out of curiosity, I tried it on Linux_x86 (non-64) and it does it for me too:

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
I had to move it REALLY fast back and forth though. I don't think I would have ever discovered that myself, unless I had a seizure first :lol:

Tried on win32 via wine and couldn't get it to do it.
concretedog at work

Post by concretedog at work »

So I'm probably the last person in the universe using this on a palm tx..but with sunvox 1.7.2 the sampler isn't working...other modules seem fine, the sampler will load an xi or a wav and show it in the edit window, but won't play the sample either on the keyboard or with notes entered on the channel
organic io

Post by organic io »

concretedog at work wrote:So I'm probably the last person in the universe using this on a palm tx..but with sunvox 1.7.2 the sampler isn't working...other modules seem fine, the sampler will load an xi or a wav and show it in the edit window, but won't play the sample either on the keyboard or with notes entered on the channel
Hey, I think it's really cool that you're using it on a Palm. I was really inspired by your "dulling edge" article.. And I LOVE Sunvox on my Mobilepro 900.

Old stuff pride!

Bummer about sampler not working. I'm sure Nightradio will fix it when he gets back. :)
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

It seems like the "Restore Previous Session" dialog doesn't restore the last session, but a different one...? I can't really be more specific, but the last session restored by SunVox isn't the last song that I was working on and had open.
Wild Penquin

Post by Wild Penquin »

Hi!

I find the software excellent although my fisrt post is about bugs! I don't want to seem like complaining too much :D

Also, hopefully I'm not posting about old / known bugs, but this thread is long. Which bring me to the first "bug report":

1) A bug tracker is needed, perhaps? :D

In case it matters: The following bugs were found on Linux (KDE) with a Finnish keyboard (when relevant) - except for the last (Android) one.

2) With (even quite simple) multisynth pathways / networks, not all notes are played and / or not all expected modules are triggered. This is partially depending on output generator(s) in use. This one is a bit difficult to explain - I can provide a test case, PM me if needed, or I can start a new thread, as the discussion would probably be lost in this thread. This affects samplers, MidiOut and maybe others, but FM, Generator work correctly...

3) Keyboard / Layout (?) issue with keyboard shortcuts: I have a finnish keybaord. Can't seem to transpose up, as Sunvox does not recognize [SHIFT] + [+] - only [SHIFT] + [-] works. But it even does not recognize if I change to US layout (I tried evry possible key, don't remember where + is on the US keyboard). Neither do numpad + or - work (while holding SHIFT). Not sure what's wrong here, might not be related to the layout after all... didn't try all other keyboard shortcuts (yet), but maybe there are others that don't work, too?.

4) Midi output is sluggish and misses notes: I was using Timidity (just for testing how does it sound) and playing back a pattern. With sluggish I mean, around every other note is delayed a bit. So it seems as if someone was playing live drunk, and missing keys altogether or hitting them at the wrong time ;-). Nobody probably uses MIDI output, however...

5) Pattern icon editor does not work after restoring previos session.. It simply does not open, not even after reloading a file. Workaround: Save, quit, open Sunvox, do not restore previous session, load your work, edit the icons :D

6) When muting a module, it also mutes everything downstream on the chain.. But, maybe this behaviour is intentional? Causes something I don't expect, however, when there are other modules in use upstream in a different branch from a module downstream from the muted one. One can't currently override this behavior even manually...

Usability issues

1) A new folder dialog would be nice in the save dialogs, to ease organizing stuff... now one needs to use something external for creating directories, which can be a bit cumbersome.

2) On Android, it is way too easy to hit home, back or recent apps button. This is on Ice Scream Sandwhich / Sense UI (HTC ONE S)

When working on a smallish device, it is very easy to hit back or home buttons unintentionally (I'd guess it happens on larger devices too but maybe not so often). Most android apps handle this in some way - either blocking some of the keys altogether (not quite good alternative but better, having one key to force close the app is enough) and/or using confirmation dialog boxes.

Also, sometimes I intentionally touch the back button when in a dialog /menu to close the dialog, but instead SunVox closes altogether. I'd guess this behaviour is very counter-intuitive to other Android users, too, as the "back" button to close a dialog box is quite universal. (I'd expect the same behaviour from ESC button on a computer, too, but I just tested it and it does not work this way on the PC, either. However, it brings up a dialog box to close the app, which is better. Of course this is a matter of taste, too...)

In some ways, perhaps this unintentional closing could be reduced... I would suggest:
1) (back button to close dialogs, and if no dialog is open, but sound is playing, stop, and if no dialog and no sound is playing) pop up confirmation to close SunVox (and perhaps also a chance to save work?). In most apps, back button will "backtrack" to the "basic" state, before closing /prompting to close this way.

2) home button should but SunVox in the background and put me on the Android home screen (in case I want to do something in between and continue work soon).

3) Recent apps dialog should leave SunVox running in the background and enable user to switch between apps.

At present, SunVox is never left running in the background, although I believe at present, SunVox always saves the session when it is closed (either intentionally or not). It's just a minor annoyance currently, but not quite the Android way, IMO ;-).

Cheers, and thanks for this nice app!
Last edited by Wild Penquin on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

was working on phase modulations and got a really nice chain set up - and saved in metamodule
and i guess being something modulating something else being inside the metamodule it dont wont to give up any noises...
is there a way i could make set ups with phase modulation inside meata modules and make it work?
anybody knows?

if theres not i can live with that... just wondering.

the smarks... the smarks,,, the blueness of it all!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES