Total newbie question about sunvox

Couk

Total newbie question about sunvox

Post by Couk »

Hi there. I've checked various tutorials and manuals but I can't seem to work out something that's probably fairly obvious. When I want to make a new pattern, I want to make a new set of generators for that pattern. However, when I
make the changes, it makes these changes to all the patterns I've already made too. What should I do to prevent this? Thanks for any help whatsoever!
organic io

Re: Total newbie question about sunvox

Post by organic io »

Couk wrote:Hi there. I've checked various tutorials and manuals but I can't seem to work out something that's probably fairly obvious. When I want to make a new pattern, I want to make a new set of generators for that pattern. However, when I
make the changes, it makes these changes to all the patterns I've already made too. What should I do to prevent this? Thanks for any help whatsoever!
Welcome to Sunvox!

Good question if you are not familiar with tracking or modular routings..

However, to the best of my knowledge, what you are trying to do is not possible (or practical). The modules are not linked exclusively to any specific pattern.

Think of it more like this: When you enter notes in a pattern, you are just referencing the module number of the generator (or effect).

An analogy would be: Modules are like words. Patterns are like books. If it were somehow possible to change the definition of a word, then it would mean something different in a book. There are multiple books in the world(patterns) that all reference the same word (module). But if you burned all the books that contain that word (module), the word would still exist. And you could still change its meaning again :)

So, in practice it would be more useful to just create another set of modules that you would use in your next pattern.

As a quick visual explanation, I will show you how I usually have my modules set up in songs. I call them "DSP chains"... (Digital Signal Processing)

I have a seperate DSP chain for every instrument. So for a simple example:

Instrument 1 - [Generator]--->[Filter]--->[Distortion]--->[Echo]----\
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Amplifier]--->[Output]
Instrument 2 - [Sampler]---[Filter]--->[Flanger]--->[EQ]-------------/

See the routing there, it starts with an instrument (generator, sampler, etc), goes through the effects... Then in this example the output of those chains goes into an Amplifier (I use it like a master bus that can control the volume of the entire mix), and then finally to the output module.

I hope this helps and makes sense. Let us know if you have any more questions. Or I can make some actual Sunvox screenshots and/or send you a project file that you can poke around in.

Good luck with it!