SunVox for Nintendo DS

azz_inside

SunVox for Nintendo DS

Post by azz_inside »

Are there any plans to make sunvox for nintendo ds?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: SunVox for Nintendo DS

Post by NightRadio »

Hmm... not sure... i know little about this device and i don't have it :)
organic io

Post by organic io »

Wow, that would be really cool! The pattern editor could be on the top screen and modules/timeline on the bottom. :)
AlbeyAmakiir

Post by AlbeyAmakiir »

I'd suggest the 3DS, simply because it's more powerful. Developers don't have to use the 3D function (which, in turn, frees up more power : P). And the online distribution platform seems alright, but only accessible to the DSi and 3DS, not the original DS. I have seen various programs update, but it seems to be a thing less done on Nintendo platforms, which might get in the way of your constant updating (though I don't develop for it, so I could be totally wrong about this. I'm just reporting what I see). On the plus side, the 3DS supports SD cards, which I don't believe even the DSi does (though I never had one, so someone else can correct me on that). Also, stylus = more accuracy when interacting = faster music making.

There was a homebrew a while back, for DS, called Nitro Tracker, which was designed to make .mod or .s3m or something. http://nitrotracker.tobw.net/ It had a thing where you could swap the top and bottom screen to access the tracker or the sound editors/menu/etc. The screens on the 3DS are different sizes, though.

If it was to appear on 3DS, I would buy it immediately. I don't have a smartphone or anything. However, it looks a little trickier to modify SunVox to be able to fit it, than a smartphone or pc or so-on. To be honest, I think the PSVita is more viable, but I don't have, nor want one. :/

Well, that's my thoughts.
azz_inside

Post by azz_inside »

AlbeyAmakiir wrote:I'd suggest the 3DS, simply because it's more powerful. Developers don't have to use the 3D function (which, in turn, frees up more power : P). And the online distribution platform seems alright, but only accessible to the DSi and 3DS, not the original DS. I have seen various programs update, but it seems to be a thing less done on Nintendo platforms, which might get in the way of your constant updating (though I don't develop for it, so I could be totally wrong about this. I'm just reporting what I see). On the plus side, the 3DS supports SD cards, which I don't believe even the DSi does (though I never had one, so someone else can correct me on that). Also, stylus = more accuracy when interacting = faster music making.

There was a homebrew a while back, for DS, called Nitro Tracker, which was designed to make .mod or .s3m or something. http://nitrotracker.tobw.net/ It had a thing where you could swap the top and bottom screen to access the tracker or the sound editors/menu/etc. The screens on the 3DS are different sizes, though.

If it was to appear on 3DS, I would buy it immediately. I don't have a smartphone or anything. However, it looks a little trickier to modify SunVox to be able to fit it, than a smartphone or pc or so-on. To be honest, I think the PSVita is more viable, but I don't have, nor want one. :/

Well, that's my thoughts.
i don't think they can make it for 3DS because till now there is no homebrew for 3DS, no hacking, and 3DS flashcart still can only play DS game. So if there is DS version of SunVox, 3DS can play it too.
azz_inside

Post by azz_inside »

NightRadio wrote:Hmm... not sure... i know little about this device and i don't have it :)
there is application called DS Game Maker, but I don't know about programming and use it. http://dsgamemaker.com/
AlbeyAmakiir

Post by AlbeyAmakiir »

azz_inside wrote:i don't think they can make it for 3DS because till now there is no homebrew for 3DS, no hacking, and 3DS flashcart still can only play DS game. So if there is DS version of SunVox, 3DS can play it too.
That's only a problem for homebrew. All you need is a 3DS devkit. If you wants to make money, you really should become an official developer, anyway. Homebrew isn't the only way to make software for handhelds. : P And I wouldn't suggest that homebrew is a good idea, anyway, regardless of whether it's for DS or 3DS.
azz_inside wrote:there is application called DS Game Maker, but I don't know about programming and use it. http://dsgamemaker.com/
That only works with hombrew. You'd also have to start from scratch if he used it, and I rather doubt it would be able to handle all the sound manipulation you want (or, if it does, it'd be rather slower).
Darkhog

Post by Darkhog »

So what's next, SunVox for the NES? Consoles are meant for games, geez...
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

Like its not enough for one person to develop for so many platforms already...
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
AlbeyAmakiir

Post by AlbeyAmakiir »

Sudden consideration: The big console companies usually have far stricter quality control and strange requirements.

Also, I just got a Vita, and now think that would be far more appropriate than the DS, interface-wise. Although, so few people have them at the moment, so it may be wasted effort. And what I said in the previous paragraph still applies.
terrabyte_aura

Post by terrabyte_aura »

I think that it could be very possible to release a Nintendo DS ROM for Sunvox. Considering that (according to Wikipedia) Sunvox is written in C++, I think that you can run C++ on R4s and the like, so maybe with some slight adjustments (such as on-screen keyboard, button presses etc.) it could work very well! I've got a DSi XL, and can easily get an R4 if needed! Despite owning an iPod, I'd much prefer to compose on DS, so I'd certianly be up for it!
Keep up the amazing work!
dusicyon

Post by dusicyon »

samrai katt kovboy wrote:Like its not enough for one person to develop for so many platforms already...
Agree.
About the nintendo DS, there are some SD adapters where we can put roms and play.