SunVox v1.6.2

NightRadio
Site Admin

SunVox v1.6.2

Post by NightRadio »

SunVox v1.6.2 is out!

What's new:
  • quantization noise is reduced by 4 times (on smartphones and pocket computers);
  • added Lo-Fi (fixed point) SunVox versions for slow computers (only for Win32 and Linux x86);
  • improved sound quality of the following modules: Generator, SpectraVoice;
  • new Generator waveforms: half-sine (6); abs-sine (7); pulse-sine with duty cycle (8);
  • added copy and paste of modules;
  • added new control "Velocity" to MultiSynth module;
  • added ASIO support (for Windows only);
  • now Sampler can record signals from another modules; just connect some output module (Generator, for example) to the Sampler and press the "Rec", "Rec mono" or "Rec LoFi" button under the Sampler controllers; "Rec" - record stereo; "Rec mono" - record mono; "Rec LoFi" - record mono with reduced sampling frequency;
  • added base MIDI IN/OUT in versions for Linux (ALSA), OSX and iOS (CoreMidi), Windows (MM);
  • supported MIDI IN commands: NoteON/OFF;
  • supported MIDI OUT commands: NoteON/OFF; Control Change; Program Change; Bank Select;
  • use controllers with number 80+X to send MIDI Control Change; where the X is MIDI Controller Number; for example: 8100 8000 - set Modulation (MSB and LSB) to the max value;
  • added Input module for audio receiving from microphone or line-in; at the moment only iOS supported; the Input for other systems will be available in the next releases;
  • iOS: added D-pad for more precise cursor positioning in the pattern editor;
  • iOS: added Audio Copy/Paste (Intua Audio Sharing); Sonoma compatible; Where to find: Main menu -> Export/import -> Copy/Paste;
  • iOS: added multitouch support to Touch Theremin;
  • iOS: added multitouch support to piano keyboard;
  • added Preferences (in the Main menu);
  • templates support (in the Preferences);
  • fixed bug with overload of EQ module;
  • added new songs and instruments (samples);
  • many bugs fixed.
Link: http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox
Electric Ungulate

Re: SunVox v1.6.2

Post by Electric Ungulate »

Well done Alex on another fantastic release!

I decided to learn to play the piano recently - addition of MIDI is great fun. I love jamming on the FM synth.

Best regards,

EU.
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

MIDI OUT IS OUT. WE IS WINNER.
LOL - seriously, though, thanks, NightRadio. Now, I'll have to figure out how to actually make a great song with a keyboard!

EDIT: WOW - I just read the change-log - this version is great! I'll really have to get into it, now!
ogama8

Post by ogama8 »

I just upgraded to 1.6.2 and when I try to run the SunVox app on my mac (OSX Leopard) it goes to a blank application window, then crashes. Does any one else have this problem or do you, NightRadio, know how to fix this? I've been learning music theory and recently switched from ableton. I am so excited to use a midi keyboard!
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

Maybe you should disable midi-keyboard, just to see if that's the problem? I'm not sure where it is, but maybe there's a configuration file you can edit (there is one on Windows). Also, try changing the audio device in that file - mine would default to my computer speakers (not my external audio console / speakers).
ogama8

Post by ogama8 »

There is no config file for mac. I've also tried unplugging my midi controller as well as my external audio devices with the same results.
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

Hm. Then maybe NightRadio will release a bugfix version that will add a configuration file (since some setups need parameters to be changed for them to work). I read somewhere that you could create a sunvox_config.ini or sunvox_config.txt file, and SunVox will read the settings from that, though.

EDIT: Yeah, on the Wiki, it says where to put the file. So just copy the example file to the sunvox directory on your Mac, and add these lines at the end:

Code: Select all

midi_kbd = "Keyboard MIDI-In Name"
midi_kbd_ch 1
To the file as well, replacing the "Keyboard MIDI-In Name" with the name of your Midi-in keyboard's name on the computer. Mine is 'Ozone In'. Also, replace the midi_kbd_ch with another value if 1 is not the channel your keyboard works on. Then, SunVox should load the settings from the file, and you should be able to determine where the problem is. Try changing the audio device number in the config file.
ogama8

Post by ogama8 »

Perhaps I wasn't totally clear at the start. I can't even get to the sunvox gui. I did add the config file, but that did nothing to help the problem. All I get is a white box that looks something like this:
The only screen I get before sunvox crashes.
The only screen I get before sunvox crashes.
Picture 2.jpg (13.68 KiB) Viewed 8969 times
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

That's too bad... I wish I could help you out, but I don't know what the problem could be... Maybe it's conflicting software? Are you running other audio programs while you run SunVox? What happens if you try it from a straight restart of your computer?
ogama8

Post by ogama8 »

I have no other audio programs running and it does not work after a reboot. 1.6.1 still works fine. The only thing I can think of is that I'm running OSX Leopard, not Snow Leopard.

EDIT: I just tried running 1.6.2 on a friends computer with Leopard and it failed too.
Slider

Post by Slider »

Hi, thanks for making Sunvox; it really is a pleasure to use. I have hundreds of pounds worth of music software on my computer, and this is what I've ended up using! The interface is great too; very calming.

Not sure if this is a bug, but I've just tried Sunvox 1.6.2 on Windows XP, and it seems to have a different sound to the previous version. I've loaded up one of my tunes in both versions side by side, and they're very different; in 1.6 it sounds nicely balanced, but I can't hear the bass at all in 1.6.2.

I've tried it with a couple of the demo songs, and then tried deleting all the filter and EQ modules and re-connecting everything else, but I still get the same thing; no bottom end. Am I doing something wrong? I can't see any settings that might be affecting this.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

to ogama8: sorry for this bug and for delay with answer. I'll try to run SunVox on another Mac with OSX Leopard...
to Slider: have you ASIO drivers in your system? May be, problem in this? Previous version worked with DirectSound only.
Slider

Post by Slider »

Well, I've got the latest driver for my sound card. Not sure what ASIO is, but I noticed that when I start the new version of Sunvox it launches something called ASIO4ALL v.2.9, which I presume is the ASIO driver. I can't see any EQ settings in that, but even when I change the settings to make it use my other sound card that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Should I get another ASIO driver to replace it? Or can I switch Sunvox back to using Directsound?

Thanks for your help!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

to Slider:
first of all try to export your song to WAV from 1.6.1 and from 1.6.2. If both files are equal, the problem is in the audio driver.
I think that ASIO has a direct access to your sound card. But DirectSound may have some intermediate mixers and EQs, which are available in Windows settings.
So if you need the old sound, just put "audiodriver dsound" string to the sunvox_config.ini file.
Slider

Post by Slider »

Brilliant, that's solved it - thanks very much!