which hardware for sunvox?

ignatzthemouse

which hardware for sunvox?

Post by ignatzthemouse »

Hello there...

Ive toyed with the demo pc version of sunvox for a while and am thinking of buying some mobile hardware to run it.
Does anyone have any recommendations of which pdas or phones run it most happily? I already run a few mobile music things on gp2x and ds so in an ideal world id love to have this running on a real take everywhere mobile phone type device.
Any suggestions welcomed.
Last edited by ignatzthemouse on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: which hardware for sunvox?

Post by NightRadio »

I recommend you PalmOS or Windows Mobile device with CPU frequency at least 400 or 500 mHz. Of course, sunvox can work with 100-200 mHz processors too, but with more low performance. Screen and memory sizes are not critical.
As for me, i use GSmart MW998 with WinMobile6 and PXA270 cpu (520 mHz).
drewzle

Post by drewzle »

i am using Sunvox on Palm TX and it runs very well. you can probably get a TX relatively inexpensively on eBay
ignatzthemouse

Post by ignatzthemouse »

Thanks for the replies. Itd be really good to have a list of hardware that people have found it works on with comments about how well it runs, ease of use due to the physical controls and so on in each case.

Have you looked into getting it to run on the upcoming pandora console? Or would it run under linux in that anyway?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Yes, SunVox can be running on Linux (or any *nix system). At the moment i have versions, compiled for x86 cpu only. But future releases will be with ARM Linux support too. So this will be possible to run SunVox on Pandora or another Linux-based device.
analog

Post by analog »

Hi, I have Sunvox running on a Treo 650 and it works perfectly but I've just aquired an O2 XDA IIs PDA running Windows PPC2003 (400Mhz processor, 128 Mb) and Sunvox stutters along with broken playback on this - even on the simplest compositions. I can't find any sound hardware preferences to tweak to help things along - is it simply the case that a 400Mhz processor isn't powerful enough for Sunvox on this platform?
Thanks.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

No, 400 mHz just enough for normal SunVox working.. I think, that this device has some specific characteristics (hardware or software). May be minimum sound-buffer size is larger than standart value for SunVox - 4096. Please, try to increase this value: create "sunvox_config.ini" file (copy it from Win32 version of the SunVox) with a following content:

Code: Select all

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------
buffer       8192        //Sound buffer size (in samples)
frequency    44100       //Sampling frequency (minimum - 44100)
//----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then copy this file to the root of filesystem of your PDA. And then try to run SunVox again
analog

Post by analog »

No difference I'm afraid - oh well, still got it running fine on the Treo and the PC too!
Many thanks and good luck with future developments!
ignatzthemouse

Post by ignatzthemouse »

interested to know more about it on the treo 650 as these are fairly cheap 2nd hand. The processor is around 320mhz i think. How much can it handle? Does it crash or stutter easily?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

ignatzthemouse wrote:interested to know more about it on the treo 650 as these are fairly cheap 2nd hand. The processor is around 320mhz i think. How much can it handle? Does it crash or stutter easily?
Crash? No.. It doesn't :) But stutter... it's difficult to answer. All depends on number of synths in your track. Several filters and generators can work on CPU with 150-170 mHz normally.
ignatzthemouse

Post by ignatzthemouse »

Have heard (via the chap who runs palm sounds) that the treo 650 can be temperamental with sunvox. Thats a shame as it looks very low latency and usable when it does.
Im going to need to replace my phone at some point soon so ill be trying to find something that is phone sized with some hardware buttons that might do the job.
Any further reconsiderations welcomed but ill post here if i find anything good.