How do you (not) re-use your sunvox material?

leondustar

How do you (not) re-use your sunvox material?

Post by leondustar »

Sunvox allows re-use in incredible different ways:
  • Muted patterns, cloned patterns
  • Custom Metamodule fx or synth (.sunsynth)
  • Multiple synths inside metamodule (controlled by input-param)
  • Included instruments,effects and example-dirs
  • Creating your own directory structures
  • the Sampler module (to sample or load samplebanks)
  • xi files as containers for drumkits/sf2/gig (using openmpt
  • .sunvox templates
  • Save .sunvox files to foldernames which indicate stage (loop,structure,polish,finished)
  • Did I forget something?
Just curious, do you (encourage yourself to) re-use previously made material, and at the same time keep it easy to revisit/improve previous jams/material?

Ps. I'd also like to hear people who prefer the art of chaos (and are more productive by carefully not organising too much)
a1matt

Re: How do you (not) re-use your sunvox material?

Post by a1matt »

I do quite a few of these.

Only things I can think to add are...
Reverse engineering other peoples projects (I always intend to do this, but rarely do).
Using an SD Card on a phone/tablet so you can have all your projects, a sample library, etc at hand.
leondustar wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:01 am xi files as containers for drumkits/sf2/gig (using openmpt
This is a new one to me.
Does this mean I could open an sf2 in openmpt and save it in xi format?
That would be awesome!
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

a1matt wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:22 pm This is a new one to me.
Does this mean I could open an sf2 in openmpt and save it in xi format?
That would be awesome!
Well OpenMPT lets you open SF2 files... and export as XI... But it's not an automatic process from my experience. I was trying to convert a soundfount of Roland SC-55 drums (think standard MIDI player drums) into an XI, but I had to manually map the instruments to the keys. And on import, SunVox only recognized 32 of the samples for some reason.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that XI only has one amplitude envelope that affects all samples, where SF2 can have an envelope per sample
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

Thanks for the detailed info sawzer. I have reasonable expectations now and plan to have a go at it at myself at some point.

Another way I reuse within SunVox is within patterns.

I sometimes start a song by just entering in all the notes of a scale (or write a riff) in a single pattern, then a combo of
Cut/copy/paste/pastemix/shrink/expand/spreadevenly/transpose to expand it into chords and melody across copies of that pattern.

Lots of detaching, renaming and remapping along the way keeps it organised enough to arrange into a song.