Tune Filter or Filter-Pro from keyboard or tracker notes?

signality

Tune Filter or Filter-Pro from keyboard or tracker notes?

Post by signality »

Hi,

I'm still learning how to drive Sunvox and have been looking for a way to make Filter or Filter-Pro behave like the built-in filter in Analog generator, so that the cutoff/notch/centre frequency of the filter tracks the note currently being played +/- some offset in the same way that the oscillator frequency does.

For example, in the Analog generator if I were to set up the filter to BP then the oscillator and the filter BP centre frequency to 100Hz, if I then played a note an octave up then both the VCO and the BP centre frequency go up to 200Hz. Another octave up they both go to 400Hz and so on.

I am trying to work out how to do this using a source that does not have a built-in filter such as Generator or SpectraVoice so that I can add a note tracking filter after it.

The reason that I want to do this is so that I can create a bandpass filter with an arbitrary passband width by putting a low pass filter in series with a high pass filter and then having both of them track the oscillator pitch but offset by the filter cutoff frequencies from the oscillator frequency.

I have tried setting up two Generators from the same Multisyth, one providing the sound input to the filter with the other feeding into a Pitch2Ctrl module which then controls the Filter frequency but I haven't managed to get that to actually control the filter cutoff frequency.

I have found this topic and example that does roughly what I would like to achieve:

https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12541

but it seems a bit clunky so I thought I'd ask if anyone knew of another way to do this?

BTW: a much nicer alternative solution altogether would be if it were possible to feed an external sound source - such as the output of Generator or some other sound source - into the filter section of the Analog generator in place built-in waveforms but I'm guessing that is probably better placed as a Feature Request for an update to Sunvox.}
burij

Re: Tune Filter or Filter-Pro from keyboard or tracker notes?

Post by burij »

I think, you were completely on the right path. to build an offstet, adjust Min Value on Pitch2Ctl
Attachments
2021-11-08 16-20.sunvox
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
You can download my exclusive Sunvox-Metamodules here: https://label.weddinger-schule.de/category/tools/
signality

Re: Tune Filter or Filter-Pro from keyboard or tracker notes?

Post by signality »

Thanks for that burij,

Your example shows how to do it and the frequency response plot in Filter-Pro makes it easy to visualise what it happening.

It has also shown me that I am wrong about the filter tuning in the Analog generator! I had incorrectly assumed but not checked carefully, that the frequency of the filter in the Analog generator was tracked to the note frequency whereas it is not. It is fixed at the Freq value set in the Analog generator unless otherwise controlled by the built-in envelope functions or an external source.

Hence your example shows me my mistake as well as how to achieve a note tracking filter in a separate source+filter setup and therefore how to do the same in the integrated Analog generator.

Deep joy!