Why not both? Audio and Midi input at the same time on MetaModule

Logickin λ

Why not both? Audio and Midi input at the same time on MetaModule

Post by Logickin λ »

I am back for awhile, an concept suddenly popped up in my mind, and it worked after testing:

When I was making MetaModule synth, I always hope for the MetaModule can received Audio and Midi at the same time. This is important since we can design more compact tracked filter or something crazy like using audio signal to import MetaModule patches or making modules able to communicate each other.

I never know that I can do this, until a random showerthought:
If the latest update of SunVox allows people to delay midi signal using Delay Module, can we send midi and audio at the same time, only using one single delay module with a unnoticeable amount of delay?
So I open SunVox for a test later on:
For the first test, I added a delay in mono mode with delay time as short as possible. 2 types of input are feed into the delay, which is a generator and a MultiSynth. For the output, send one out to a FM module while audio output as another. After finished the routing, I set the pattern to play notes from module 02 and 03.

It works! My idea was right, so I take a step further. I remove the analog generator and multisynth and keep configuration with the output connected from the FM and Delay module. The set up is stored inside a MetaModule, and I connect MultiSynth and an audio source(analog generator) out side the MetaModule. After writing some simple melody line for the MultiSynth and analog generator and pressed the play button, it is confirmed that the trick works for the MetaModule:

The image is not enough to show the actual idea, so I am going to upload some simple demo related to the screenshot as well:
Nothing fancy this time, since I just find this idea today and just want to show the main concept of this post:
Concept:
Both Midi and Audio Input Concept.sunvox
(4.41 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Implementation:
Both Midi and Audio Input MetaModule.sunvox
(7.45 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
AutumnCheney

Re: Why not both? Audio and Midi input at the same time on MetaModule

Post by AutumnCheney »

nice work noticing that the delay can accept both audio and midi, i can see this coming in handy in the future :Bravo:
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
philipbergwerf

Post by philipbergwerf »

Thank you for sharing the showerthought :) can make a vocoder that plays the notes of the midi input!
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

AutumnCheney wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:29 am nice work noticing that the delay can accept both audio and midi, i can see this coming in handy in the future :Bravo:
Yes, I am now simplifying some of my modules due to this discovery, my track filter finally can be made into single module. :Yahoo!:
philipbergwerf wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:26 am Thank you for sharing the showerthought :) can make a vocoder that plays the notes of the midi input!
Yeah,we don't needed the L/R channel trick for vocoder anymore. We can now feed the stereo audio outside the module, and play the synth inside due the the delay module, without any re-triggering due to the patterns. Remember to set the delay module to stereo, identical delay setting for left and right channel, and only with the wet signal. :)
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

okay so you know how most of the native effects can reset their phase if you send a note command to them? like, the filter lfo resets if you hook up a multisynth to it and play it?

well, i realized that you can implement this functionality in your metamodules with this trick! just set the input as the delay, and route it to any effect that you want to have its phase reset. when you send note commands to the metamodule, the delay will send your note commands to the modules along with audio.

if you want only audio and no midi, just send the input data from the delay to an amplifier module. likewise, for midi and no audio, send it to a multisynth.

i did this in my updated chorus module (attached to the post, i'll update the main topic later). just hook up a multisynth to it along with whatever synths you want chorused, and the phase will reset
autumnc chorus.sunsynth
(14.46 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

That's interesting! I never know that sending note to an effect modules re-trigger the phrase, and I thought this can only be done in setting the phrase of a module. Re-triggering LFO module will be incredibly handy for logic that require clock reset!
AzzzX

Post by AzzzX »

DearVocco00.sunsynth
VOCODER
(7.54 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Vocoder
burij

Post by burij »

damn, you can send midi to delay?!!? In combination with LFO and sound2ctl this could be an amzing effect to create drum grooves without write the microdelay in the pattern. need to experiment with it imidiatly!
You can download my exclusive Sunvox-Metamodules here: https://label.weddinger-schule.de/category/tools/
offthesky

Post by offthesky »

thank you MUCH! for pointing this out. an amazing trick