Is there a way to “unlink” patterns?

Obobeats

Is there a way to “unlink” patterns?

Post by Obobeats »

Hi there, fairly new to Sunvox but I’ve messed around with it a fair amount. One question I have is whether I can unlink or unsync patterns once duplicated or cloned?

I’d like to duplicate a pattern and then chop it in half. Allowing me to have the full pattern play at one point in the song and then different chunks play at other parts.

I’ve got the cloned or duplicated pattern but as soon as I go to “/2” (chop it in half), that change is effecting every iteration of the pattern throughout the whole song.

As far as I can tell, this is the case whether I duplicate by copy/paste or by cloning.

To be clear, I realize I could probably go into the pattern I’m cloning (or copy/pasting) and just copy half of the notes and then paste those into a new pattern and I’d be able to get the same result. But I feel like I’m definitely missing something with duplicating full patterns. Once I saw there was more than one way to duplicate a pattern (copying it or cloning it, etc) I thought for sure that must be what I was missing and that perhaps only clone would carry changes to patterns throughout and the other option would only change the specific iteration of the pattern you’re working in (seemed to me like that was the entire reason for having more than one option to duplicate!) but I was wrong!

Also, I wanted a good excuse to hop on these forums. I know I have way more to learn than I can possibly fathom at this point!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond. Gorgeous creation in Sunvox!
Obobeats

Re: Is there a way to “unlink” patterns?

Post by Obobeats »

Well... I must be crazy. Just tried copying and pasting a full pattern again and the two are not linked. So I think it works like I originally thought (or so I think.... LOL!)

Still curious if there’s a way to unlink once you’ve cloned but the original reason for the ask seems to be solved!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Still curious if there’s a way to unlink once you’ve cloned
Not yet... But i hope to add this feature one day :)
CheezeGorilla

Post by CheezeGorilla »

Copy and paste the original pattern, and you'll get a new copy of the pattern you can edit.
Copy and paste a clone, and you'll get a new clone linked to the original (which can't be unlinked).

cg