Any tips on doing live loop on SunVox?

Electroretard

Any tips on doing live loop on SunVox?

Post by Electroretard »

Hi I'm a newbie, and I'm kind of confused when I want to do live looping in SunVox, like I can edit a pattern while the whole project is playing, but if I try to do something in the timeline like cloning a pattern, it just stopped. Also the recording function is quite difficult for me. Is there any way to record or edit new patterns while playing the existing ones? :( Thanks guys.
Keres

Re: Any tips on doing live loop on SunVox?

Post by Keres »

U know, u got a good point. Sunvox, I am told behaves in a way that would make live changes to the patterns impossible. It is for that reason that there might be an integrated tool to fix this some day. What tool I think about is would be something like the C-1 from Jeskola Buzz. Thing is, most people now days use midi extensively since it is so cheap. Keep in mind that midi performance with sunvox is excellent. I think your solution is to get sunvox receiving midi from another sunvox box, hit record, twiddle the midi loop in the new box. U might even be able to get it to work on one box, but that is another topic. I know nothing about software midi.
Keres

Post by Keres »

Ok, I just installed Ubuntu studio with Jack sound server.

First thing I did was try to get it working as a sound effects processor with ardour. Perfect. Secondly I went for some midi arpeggiator action. It all works except that midi arp apps expect some sort of midi input... Not so cool for algorithmic/generative styles. I the. Tried to get 2 different sequencers playing into one patch in sunvox. It works, but qtractor syncs the bpm of both instances, which is not what I wanted. Finally, I opened a second copy of sunvox, and patched up a pile of metamodules containing multisynths into a final multisynth. Here is the live midi looper we have been seeking! The one copy of sunvox sends midi via the jack midi through into any Instrument in the first copy. Hit record and record all the improvised variations from the Midi output are recorded. There! Live looper using jack. The one drawback is that when you edit a metamodules, all midi connections from sunvox disappear in the Jack connection panel. Simply leave the panel open and re-patch it. Live midi looper!
burij

Post by burij »

My wife was the weekend away, so I was playing with sunvox very extensive again. It's not completly though through, but there are two concepts (and combination of them), which could be considered for life performance:

- using metamoduls with midi inside and the fuction play patterns
- using sampler module to record and play soundparts on the fly
You can download my exclusive Sunvox-Metamodules here: https://label.weddinger-schule.de/category/tools/