Trigger pattern with MIDI

nunrgguy

Trigger pattern with MIDI

Post by nunrgguy »

Hi
I know that a plugin version of Sunvox might be in the works but in the meantime it's still possible to connect things up with Jack etc.

I'm wondering if it's possible to trigger a pattern (and also transpose it) via MIDI note information....link that pattern to a sampler and you've essentially got the same thing as Redux by Renoise?
rainydayshirts

Re: Trigger pattern with MIDI

Post by rainydayshirts »

Using multiple Metamodules to store your patterns might work. The Metamodule can be trigger using Midi, the transposition I am not sure about. Might have to get "creative" with it.
Jesse R. Schilling | rainydayshirts

| Bandcamp | Deviantart | Patreon |
nunrgguy

Post by nunrgguy »

Sounds interesting. Thanks.
Keres

Post by Keres »

Metamodule is the bomb. U can trigger it with any normal midi device. The pattern can be played dynamically using the phase settings in the metasynth. U could, for example, play your pattern in reverse order at 3/4 time, given that u input the modcode into a pattern for the phase command.

As far as transposition, the metasynth handles all that. Good idea to start with one inside your metamodule as module 01 ;)
nunrgguy

Post by nunrgguy »

Thx sounds the bomb. I’ve been thinking a bit more lately about this and will have a go at setting it up soon. Pavel Ti’s arpeggiator video shows the first step to achieving this I think.
nunrgguy

Post by nunrgguy »

I’ve got a simple version working quite easily which works well for mono lines and drum loops. All it is is a meta module which inside has a pitch to control hooked to the output. The pattern is programmed in the pattern editor inside the meta module and sent to module (00) output. Then when the pitch to ctrl receives a signal it bangs the pattern and plays it at the appropriate pitch. Outside the meta module it’s set to play pattern and arpeggiate. I’ve used pitch to control inside the module instead of a multi synth so that the pitches played outside of the module do not carry through/sound in the output device as that isn’t what is wanted, all that is wanted is a ‘play arpeggio at this pitch’ signal.

I’ve been trying to make a polyphonic version (not a poly pattern inside the meta module) I.e. play 2 notes into the meta module and it plays two pitch shifted arpeggios based on the notes you’ve played. I’ve had no joy with that yet, I think I might have to use multiple meta modules inside another meta module which contains a number of multisynths to route it all...not sure yet
offthesky

Post by offthesky »

Keres wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:08 am Metamodule is the bomb. U can trigger it with any normal midi device. The pattern can be played dynamically using the phase settings in the metasynth. U could, for example, play your pattern in reverse order at 3/4 time, given that u input the modcode into a pattern for the phase command

this sounds very interesting @keres and i've been trying to get it to work/ understand how the multisynth's phase can control a metamodule's pattern playback/position. in this example i have an lfo(saw2)->sound2ctrl->multisynth's phase. shouldn't that cause the pattern to playbackwards? although i know i am hooking things up here all wrong/perhaps misunderstanding the fundamental of how the multisynth's phase is set to work on patterns. any insight would be amazing.
Keres

Post by Keres »

ok, an obvious error with your mod... you MUST begin on the 0 line of the sequencer inside of the metamodule. your metamodule satarted at -2, so you can only start from the second note.

also, there is a difference between command (EE) 7 and the controller (CC) 7. in general, they work the same except when you first trigger them. for some reason there is a update delay when triggering the CC 7. what i find is that a CC command will play as expected except for the first note played in a pattern, for some reason there is either a delay or an update needed. i don't know why this is, only that when triggering stuff, you have to be conscious of what it should be and sometimes trigger it before hand. the command line effect (EE) seems to work almost always as expected. so (EE) 70000 will be your first line and 74000 will be your half-way point in your metamodule sequence.
Attachments
Keres 07EE V 07CC example.sunvox
(6.92 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
offthesky

Post by offthesky »

Keres wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:10 pm ok, an obvious error with your mod... you MUST begin on the 0 line of the sequencer inside of the metamodule. your metamodule satarted at -2, so you can only start from the second note.

also, there is a difference between command (EE) 7 and the controller (CC) 7. in general, they work the same except when you first trigger them. for some reason there is a update delay when triggering the CC 7. what i find is that a CC command will play as expected except for the first note played in a pattern, for some reason there is either a delay or an update needed. i don't know why this is, only that when triggering stuff, you have to be conscious of what it should be and sometimes trigger it before hand. the command line effect (EE) seems to work almost always as expected. so (EE) 70000 will be your first line and 74000 will be your half-way point in your metamodule sequence.
awesome keres thanks so much for this(and catching my obvious -2 error). had no idea about that timing nuance between cc and ee (will have to store that acorn of info away). also hadn't really explored ee31,32 before this so this so your sunvox example has given good excuse for learning that. there's so many new pattern effects since i dove into sunvox last, really need to hit the books there. again, cheers for the help!!