Sustain/damper pedal function and pitch bend from midi keyboard?

ttggzz

Sustain/damper pedal function and pitch bend from midi keyboard?

Post by ttggzz »

Hi, new user, been enjoying checking out Sunvox. Not sure where to post this.

I just got a Korg microKey2 that has a sustain/damper pedal jack. I know it's functioning because I have another software instrument open and it found it no problem. Ditto on the pitch bend wheel.

I looked over the manual and searched the forum, besides finding that sustain pedal is midi CC 64 if I remember correctly, I can't find anyplace in the interface to turn that on.

I have "classic piano" loaded, it is responding to velocity but not sustain. Same with some analog generators. Does Sunvox accept a sustain pedal and pitch bend wheel function?

thanks for any info!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Sustain/damper pedal function and pitch bend from midi keyboard?

Post by NightRadio »

Hello!
By default the SunVox does not know what to do with the MIDI controllers, including pedals and wheels.
You should connect them manually. Any MIDI controller can be connected to any SunVox controller of any module.
Double click (or right click) on some controller -> press "MIDI IN ..." -> turn the MIDI knob. That's it. Now these controllers are connected.
For example, you can assign the sustain pedal to the Release controller of the Generator. The Pitch Bend can be assigned to the Pitch controller of the Glide module (which is connected to any number of synths). In the same way you can control any parameters of the effect modules: Filter frequency, Pitch of the Pitch shifter, etc.
ttggzz

Post by ttggzz »

Thanks NightRadio, the only place I can find my MIDI keyboard is in preferences and module properties, I'm not seeing or understanding something... right clicking there does not reveal any connection options. Could you or someone possibly walk me through this with an Analog Generator?

With an Analog Generator open, and my keyboard is triggering notes, where is the MIDI selection to click on to connect the sustain pedal to Release?

Starting with an Analog Generator because I found Sunvox through searching for software organs, got real excited finding on Youtube the Hammond created by Music Road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asPI_C9lBbw

Excited because I don't need a "real" Hammond sound, I would like to create my own sine wave organ instrument just to play with the drawbars, no key click or leslie necessary.

thanks again for any info!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

1) Select the Analog Generator.
2) Find the "Release" controller on the left.
3) Double click (or right click) this controller.
4) "Controller properties" window will be opened, like described here https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/manual.php#ctls
5) Find the MIDI IN option in the "Controller properties" window.
6) Press the "..." to the right of the MIDI IN.
7) You will see "Waiting for MIDI evt" instead of "...". This means that the program is waiting for you to press some MIDI button or turn some MIDI knob.
8) As soon as you do some MIDI action - you will see the description of this action in this field. For example: "1:CC2" (channel 1, controller 2).
That's it :)
ttggzz

Post by ttggzz »

Got it, thanks! Sooo... with both the analog generator and sunsynth drawbar organ, the sustain when activated by the pedal gradually fades out. I need infinite sustain. Is there a parameter that will change the sustain to infinite? I would think so because between the 2 the fade out is noticeably different lengths.

When release is manipulated by the sustain pedal it resets the "release" value to zero [default is 20 on the organ], creating a "click" sound when those and future notes are released. Is it possible to have pedal controlled infinite sustain, but when releasing the pedal the "release" is reset to its original value [something other than zero]?

On your classic piano, I don't see any Release controller, even in "edit" mode. I saw many references to "release" in the manual, but nothing indicating it was something that could be added to an existing module.

thanks again!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Is there a parameter that will change the sustain to infinite?
Seems you can't do it in SunVox now.
We need some extra-controller, like "Global sustain" or "Hold all notes".
I think i can add it in one of the next SunVox updates.
When release is manipulated by the sustain pedal it resets the "release" value to zero [default is 20 on the organ], creating a "click" sound when those and future notes are released. Is it possible to have pedal controlled infinite sustain, but when releasing the pedal the "release" is reset to its original value [something other than zero]?
In the same window "Controller properties" you can see the Min and Max parameters under the MIDI IN. Try to set the Min to some nonzero value. At least it will give a sound close to what you expect. Except for infinite sustain.
On your classic piano, I don't see any Release controller, even in "edit" mode.
There is no Release parameter in the Sampler, because it uses the user-defined envelope of any possible configuration (for example, with some complex Attack, or without Release at all).
But i plan to add some additional controllers for changing the envelope in the next updates.
Drew_pew_pew_pew

Post by Drew_pew_pew_pew »

The Pitch Bend can be assigned to the Pitch controller of the Glide module (which is connected to any number of synths). In the same way you can control any parameters of the effect modules: Filter frequency, Pitch of the Pitch shifter, etc.
New user over here. I connected the pitch bend of my midi keyboard to the Pitch controller of the Glide module.
But how can I limit/map the pitch controller so it can only go up/down 1 full tone?
iaon

Post by iaon »

I'm not familiar with the hardware part but:

Set the '06.Pitch scale' controller to 10.
You now have 3 full tones (tritone) up/down.

Connect a MultiCtl module to the '05.Pitch' controller.
Set 'Min' to 1/3 (10923) and 'Max' to 2/3 (21845).

The '01.Value' controller should now go up/down a whole tone.

Perhaps you don't need the MultiCtl if you can set the Max/Min in the 'Controller properties' window for the Pitch controller.
Drew_pew_pew_pew

Post by Drew_pew_pew_pew »

Thanks, tried it out and worked like a charm. Couldn't figure out how the scale and semi tone/10 function but thanks to your example I'm on my way to understanding.
et-woland

Post by et-woland »

solved... almost:) after the sound source before effects put a reverb with 70% dry and 30% wet, room size betwwen 15 and 40 following your taste and following what you need and map freeze to your midi pedal, in combo with the release mapping you will obtain a pretty dynamic and versatile Sustain. was crying on this too, then Eureka:) but still if Alex will save us all with a "hold all notes" module would be amazing! have fun with the best synth ever<3