iOS File Access

samu

iOS File Access

Post by samu »

Hi!

With the more recent iOS/iPadOS versions an app can request permission to directly access file-locations outside its own app container.
This access permission applies to AUv3's as well!

For example the SunVox AUV3 could once access is granted by the user directly access the 'main' SunVox Documents folder.
In practice when launching the SunVox AUv3 the first time SunVox could ask the user for the location of the main SunVox Documents folder.

All in all this would make file-management a lot smoother experience as the files would only be stored in one place.

There are a some apps already (Koala Sampler and Sitala) that use this method of accessing files and more are on the way.

This improved file-access is something I'd really love to see in SunVox 2.1!

Cheers!
/Samuel
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: iOS File Access

Post by NightRadio »

samu wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:41 pm With the more recent iOS/iPadOS versions an app can request permission to directly access file-locations outside its own app container.
This is interesting! I will try to add support for this feature. Thanks!
samu

Re: iOS File Access

Post by samu »

NightRadio wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:28 pm
samu wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:41 pm With the more recent iOS/iPadOS versions an app can request permission to directly access file-locations outside its own app container.
This is interesting! I will try to add support for this feature. Thanks!
The AUv3 will have to use what is called 'security scoped url bookmarks' to access the file locations outside of its container.
I'm in touch with the Drambo developer (I'm doing beta on Drambo where it's currently working as expected) and he mentioned.

"I could help him, if he needs that.

It's a dark, poorly documented area - security scoped url bookmarks. I already needed to add some workarrounds to make it working on m1. Not sure about older iOS versions, we need some testing first."

The work-arounds mentioned is when running the iOS/iPadOS app on M1 Macs.

Don't feel any pressure to add this but it would most likely make it a lot easier to manage the files between Stand-Alone and AUv3.
One way I guess SunVox AUv3 could do this is to ask the user where they have their SunVox Documents the first time launching the AUv3?

If you manage to add this it would be totally awesome!

Cheers!
/Samuel