Fixed frequency offset for oscillators please?

signality

Fixed frequency offset for oscillators please?

Post by signality »

It's possible that there is a way to do this (for a limited set of sources) using a Amplifier with an offset but I haven't managed to make it work yet so here's a request for an easy way to produce a fixed (in terms of Hz) frequency offset between Oscillators or Harmonics such as in Analog Generator, a pair of Generators, harmonics in SpectraVoice or oscillators in FMX.

With Sunvox sources at the moment oscillators can be detuned from each other but the detuning is scaled by the pitch of the oscillator. For example if the two oscillators in the Analog Generator are tuned so that they are say 1Hz apart at C5 then if the pitch is increased to C6 then the offset increases to 2Hz. Similarly it goes down to 0.5Hz if the pitch is reduced to C4.

It would be nice if a fixed frequency offset could be applied to oscillators so that a beat frequency could be created that did not itself change with the pitch sent to the oscillator. In my example above the frequency difference between Osc1 and Osc2 in the Analog Generator would stay fixed at 1Hz.

Then some of the interesting sound structures that can be created with a small frequency offset would not turn into an annoying buzz at higher pitches. Similarly, beat frequencies created in the "mul" setting would retain much of the frequency difference and would not scale with pitch, which is not easy to do at the moment in Sunvox.
AutumnCheney

Re: Fixed frequency offset for oscillators please?

Post by AutumnCheney »

i actually did make a bode frequency shifter around the time when the fft module was introduced, i'll link it to this post

you could just set up two oscillators in parallel and then apply the freq shift at your desired amount to one of the oscs and mix them together

sure it's not built in to any of the generators but it'll sound the same so yeah

hope this helps
Attachments
ACheney Frequency Shifter.sunsynth
(11.97 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!