Scripting language to allow users to create new synths and effects.

CoryCulley

Scripting language to allow users to create new synths and effects.

Post by CoryCulley »

Basically, a scripting language for lower level synth/effect design would be crazy awesome. Maybe something like PixiLang? But for module design.
queries

Re: Scripting language to allow users to create new synths and effects.

Post by queries »

There are some prior discussion around this, including:

https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ing#p17025

The consensus so far seems to be:

- SunVox audio engine itself probably will never have module types where you code your own low-level DSP. Its modular environment is full-featured enough that you can create fully interactive pong games with it. So I'm sure with some creativity and patience, you could make it do almost anything. :)

- You can do a lot of SunVox audio engine things, outside of SunVox, using PixiLang.

- NightRadio has hinted that he would like to some day integrate PixiLang into the SunVox editor.

- There is an unofficial library for Python and JavaScript called Radiant Voices that lets you script SunVox module creation/editing outside of SunVox itself. I'm working on making this more accessible via a web app.

Here's the pong demo if you haven't seen it:

CoryCulley

Post by CoryCulley »

Thanks for sharing.
I guess my issue with Sunvox is more of an edge case. Sunvox is a very powerful synthesizer. It's Frequency/Phase Modulation synthesis is still not quite there however and it's been years waiting after various users' feature requests. I just thought that scripting would allow us to come up with solutions for issues like these. Maybe even other new types of modules or tools that are outside of Sunvox's capabilities.
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

CoryCulley wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:35 pm Thanks for sharing.
I guess my issue with Sunvox is more of an edge case. Sunvox is a very powerful synthesizer. It's Frequency/Phase Modulation synthesis is still not quite there however and it's been years waiting after various users' feature requests.
hi

sorry to advertise, but i made a module that tries to extend the pm synthesis capabilities of sunvox, and i thought you'd like it. check it out here: https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5676
Attachments
AutumnC 4OP PM.sunsynth
(54.6 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
CoryCulley

Post by CoryCulley »

AutumnCheney wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:44 pm hi

sorry to advertise, but i made a module that tries to extend the pm synthesis capabilities of sunvox, and i thought you'd like it. check it out here: https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5676
I'm aware of it and you did an impressive job on it. Btw I've found a way to make monophonic MetaModules like yours polyphonic. It involves making multiple instances of the MetaModule within another MetaModule, leveraging MultiSynth's out.port options to send each note to the seperate instances, and forwarding all the controllers of all those instances to the main MetaModule.

The only issue with doing that is Sunvox can't pass controller types (binary, semitone, etc) when chaining Metamodules and I think controllers in general. In other words if it's an on/off controller, expect to have to turn the controller all the way up to 0x8000 just to turn it "on", like Sustain for example. Also the controller limit on MetaModules is unfortunate. Hoping for controller page tabs one day to fix this and organization.

Besides that, I've found no way to implement operator feedback with the phase modulator which is my biggest gripe at the moment.
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

The only issue with doing that is Sunvox can't pass controller types (binary, semitone, etc) when chaining Metamodules and I think controllers in general. In other words if it's an on/off controller, expect to have to turn the controller all the way up to 0x8000 just to turn it "on", like Sustain for example. Also the controller limit on MetaModules is unfortunate. Hoping for controller page tabs one day to fix this and organization.
For binary, I often use a trick using an amplifier with 128 dc offset, then use the inverse parameter to act as an On/Off switch, along with a sound2control with low frequency, no smooth, no absolute, and in LQ mode.