Add "Set phase" controller to SpectraVoice

sk0

Add "Set phase" controller to SpectraVoice

Post by sk0 »

SpectraVoices are very useful not only as a pad but also when you need a thick and stereo bass. However, as their amplitude and panning changes with time a bit drastically (especially in low notes) and there's no way to control them, sometimes they sound in a different way from what I meant as a bass.
So, I would be happy if there would be a "Set phase" controller or something like that in a SpectraVoice :)
Last edited by sk0 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keres

Re: Add "Set phase" controller to SpectraVoice

Post by Keres »

pretty sure that if u put a multisynth into a spectravoice you can control the phase of the sample output of the said spectravoice. not sure, i mean i always just assumed that was what i was hearing... i also mix tracks while listening to sports and news broadcasts.
sk0

Post by sk0 »

Keres wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:18 am pretty sure that if u put a multisynth into a spectravoice you can control the phase of the sample output of the said spectravoice.
Well, it seems not to me...
Keres

Post by Keres »

OK, here are 2 of my tests on this.

first i just recorded a sample of the phase command and it looks like it is working. the second test is recording a spectra on the left, then one that is phased on the right. it looks to me like it is phasing the waveform.

what is apparent is that the spectra is always phasing its waveform start position. For this reason the actual answer is murky, but i bet that it is because this generator uses an FFT formula to calculate a chip sample, not a traditional set waveform from a table. i think that either the author or someone who studies the code like Pavel TI could tell us what is actually going on.

in the traditional mixing and mastering world, a stereo bass is a big time no-no. the reason is that not everyone has a stereo system that is wired correctly and that low frequency sound waves under 100 Hz just sound the same as mono anyways. if you have heavy stereo on bass, things like dropouts and REALLY odd phasing of the mix can occur. that's why some engineers uses a filter called an elliptical EQ to convert anything in the whole mix under a certain Hz value into mono. this is especially important for vinyl mastering. with today's proliferation of really good studio speakers for cheap, it is less of a problem, and generally if it sounds good in sunvox it will sound pretty much the same elsewhere, BUT realize that your stereo bass mix might not translate very well on say... a grocery store PA system, or a mono playback speaker on some handheld digital device.

have fun!
Attachments
Keres Spectra Phase Test 1 2020-11-10 15-32.sunvox
(3.66 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Keres Spectra Phase Test 2 2020-11-10 15-42.sunvox
(6.36 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
sk0

Post by sk0 »

Well, sorry but I'm not sure what you mean...
- Test 1: set the Output's visualizer to Stereo phase scope, remove the effect 30 at the end of the pattern and play it for a while, then you can see the stereo phase changes very slowly.
- Test 2: set the Output's visualizer to Stereo phase scope, cut a SpectraVoice module then paste it and make it connected again, then the stereo phase becomes asymmetric (sometimes it's still symmetric, so you might have to give it multiple tries).
in the traditional mixing and mastering world, a stereo bass is a big time no-no.
Yes, I've heard it for several times. However, after analyzing some songs I found side frequencies below 100Hz are also important :)