An alternative solution to allowing modulation etc. to each note of a chord

sk0

An alternative solution to allowing modulation etc. to each note of a chord

Post by sk0 »

I guess that applying modulation, distortion, etc. to each constituting sound of a chord needs a drastic change in the SunVox sound engine (I don't know the internal structure of SunVox so it's just a guess), while this feature is requested by SunVox users (cf. https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5535, and I've seen several posts about it).

Then, how about this alternative solution: not implementing a new kind of connections (I think needed), but imitating the behavior of the SunVox's built-in keyboard (I think).
A "special" MultiSynth numbers its output channels (in the order of connection or at random) and when it receives an note event, it assigns a non-duplicate number to the event in the order of arrival, marks the number used, and send the event only to the correspond channel. When it receives an note-off event, it finds the correspond number assigned to the correspond event (this still seems not easy, but I guess judging by notes works well in practice), and marks the number unused so that it can be used again.

That is, when the MultiSynth is connected to three Generator (this means the synth is 3-voices) and you send note events C3, C4, and C5 in this order, the MultiSynth sends C3, C4, C5 to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd-connected Generator respectively. When the note C3 is released and it receives the correspond note-off event, it sends the event to the 1st connected Generator.
I hope the attached image help you understand what I mean and this solution is realizable :)
Attachments
201004_feature_request.png
201004_feature_request.png (15.24 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
queries

Re: An alternative solution to allowing modulation etc. to each note of a chord

Post by queries »

If you search for “round robin” you will see similar discussions to what you are proposing. Not saying you shouldn’t post more about it (many people want the feature!) but instead am just trying to offer more context in case you hadn’t seen the other threads about it from the last few years.
sk0

Post by sk0 »

queries wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:16 pm If you search for “round robin” you will see similar discussions to what you are proposing.
I'll read them and provide more information and suggestions if I find them needed. Thank you :)
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

i agree!

a nice feature for this would be to sort the voices by some criteria, like highest to lowest pitch, or which note was pressed first, or the rightmost or leftmost pitch in the pattern, or etc...
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
ibim

Post by ibim »

This has some nice properties that would be useful for other things as well. The biggest problem with it though is that it could get very annoying when you want to change a parameter in the genertors.
edit: realized that you could use multictl for this so that wouldnt be a problem