(Edited) Option to remove click noises of a SpectraVoice with low number of polyphony

sk0

(Edited) Option to remove click noises of a SpectraVoice with low number of polyphony

Post by sk0 »

SpectraVoices sometimes have click noises that cannot be removed by modifying their attack time.
For example, the intro and the outro of this song has significant ones: https://twitter.com/00sk0sk000/status/1 ... 4334349313.

Such noises doesn't seem suitable for ambient or chill-like songs such as the song above.
I would appreciate it very much and would be able to use SpectraVoices in this kind of songs without worry if there would be a way to avoid them.
Last edited by sk0 on Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
philipbergwerf

Re: "No click" option to SpectraVoice

Post by philipbergwerf »

I never heard click noices in spectra. can u upload an example of the clicks? I mean .sunvox file
sk0

Re: "No click" option to SpectraVoice

Post by sk0 »

Well, sorry, I completely misunderstood where the noise comes from :oops:
Actually the noise is not from attack, but from release; clicks seems to be heard when you set a SpectraVoice's release time to 0 or something like that, or reduce its polyphony so that a tone is interrupted by new one.
The reason why the song I mentioned has click noises is the former; I should've had longer release time.

Still I think removing clicks for the latter case (I don't know whether technically possible or not, though...) would be great. SpectraVoices are very useful not only for pads but also for melodies (and other non-topic-related things). In the attached project (and another song on my Twitter), a SpectraVoice with its polyphony = 1 is used for a retro video game-esque melody. Some noises are good for creating a retro atmosphere, but at least to me, the click noises in those projects are too much audible for this purpose.
Therefore, if there is a way to avoid such click noises and it would be implemented, I'd really appreciate it :)
Attachments
2019-10-18 15-47;request;2020-09-22.sunvox
(16.93 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
AutumnCheney

Re: (Edited) Option to remove click noises of a SpectraVoice with low number of polyphony

Post by AutumnCheney »

those click noises are from phase skipping. when you release a note, the signal is almost always not at 0 (i.e, it's somewhere above or below the middle). if the release time is very low, the signal will very rapidly drop to zero, which creates a nasty vertical skip that has a lot of harmonics (hence the clicking sound)

you can fix this by setting the attack and release to about 5 or 6. this creates a volume envelope that is still very fast to the human ear but also gradual enough to remove the click
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
sk0

Re: (Edited) Option to remove click noises of a SpectraVoice with low number of polyphony

Post by sk0 »

AutumnCheney wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:05 am you can fix this by setting the attack and release to about 5 or 6.
Thank you for the advice, but I still hear click noises...

Possibly there is a problem with my environment? (Buffer size = 4096, Sample rate = 44100. I heard noises in both Windows 10 64bit and Android)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Possibly there is a problem with my environment?
This is definitely a SpectraVoice problem.
This also happens in Generator, FM, Kicker, Vorbis Player.
Fixed in Analog Generator and Sampler.
Reason: fast algorithm without a smooth transition between sudden changes in volume on the same polyphony channel.
Workaround: use polyphony larger than 1.
Anyway, I plan to fix this in future updates.
sk0

Post by sk0 »

NightRadio wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:06 pm Anyway, I plan to fix this in future updates.
Thank you so much for considering this request :)
Workaround: use polyphony larger than 1.
And thank you for your advice too! Though it seems to need a lot of note-off commands with effect 005f or something like that to sound in the same way as what I desire, even without these commands it sounds good for what I intend to do.