[Withdrawn] Effect command to specify finetune

sk0

Re: [Withdrawn] Effect command to specify finetune

Post by sk0 »

I prefer there will be two separate commands :)
While I've not come up with a specific case which inevitably needs them, still I think they're a bit more useful while playing with an extremely modulated FM module or a modulator. They often sound quite a different note from the actual one or sometimes sound atonal, and tweaking their finetunes drastically changes their sound, which I think is apt for Dubstep or other music genres welcome with those weird sound.
The two commands probably help you avoid changing a note's transposition by inputting a new note or opening the transpose dialog, while tweaking a module's pitch beyond finetunes in order to generate such sound.
philipbergwerf

Post by philipbergwerf »

NightRadio wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:37 am Yes, but if we will use the whole field XXYY - we can also specify the transposition.
For example: 05 0280 - finetune +50% and transposition +2
Although I'm not sure if this would be helpful to anyone?.. :)
Why adding transpose when you can use the root note to transpose (using shortcut)? Tracker is not the most readable way of notation so adding a transpose effect will make it even more complicated to read. But it doesn't get in the way of functionality. + you can make rndm pitch using effect commands.
I can live with both options but prefer one effect for both up and down finetune. The 000A effect works the same way and it adds to me more readability of the effect and a better workflow. This way the user does not have to remember if it was the up or down effect.
sk0

Post by sk0 »

I found there is a case that probably needs specifying transportation: how about when you want to use a sampler or something with very long attack time and want to play it in a different note + some finetune without repeating its attack?

Anyway, I don't think adding 2 effects instead 1 affects readability so much, nor you should remember each effect; just open the "Set effect..." window and all information is there.
I prefer there will be more possibilities and expressiveness than less. If SunVox adopted the one effect and later someone came up with a great idea to utilize specifying transportation, there perhaps would be three effects, which would be finally complicated.
philipbergwerf

Post by philipbergwerf »

I think you are right. More options opens more possibilities :)

Nightradio wrote:
these effects only work if some note is specified in the NN column.
So the command will only work if a note is triggered. In the case you described, you should use the effect 11 or 12 to change the note without noteOFF signal I think...
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

So the command will only work if a note is triggered.
Seems it will be useful feature too - to be able to call 05 and 06 effects after the note start.
I will think how to make it...
sk0

Post by sk0 »

Oh, I didn't realize I mentioned a different kind of effects. Still I would be happy with this feature too.
Thank you so much for considering my request :)