Sample scanning

nunrgguy

Sample scanning

Post by nunrgguy »

I’ve been trying to scan through a sample WHILE it is already playing with a multi and automating phase. However, I don’t think this is possible? Phase only scans to a different sample point on receipt of a new note. If it’s already possible then I’d love to be proven wrong as I’ve a bass line that’s going to require this, if not then: feature request please: a lot of samplers have been able to do this for donkey’s years, effectively it’s automation of the loop start point while already playing. Thx :)
Keres

Re: Sample scanning

Post by Keres »

just use a multimod to trigger notes at 800 BPM.
Keres

Post by Keres »

i think i know what you are trying to do. you are trying to do things like granular synth plugins. you can actually "scan" through things in sunvox, you just have to explicitly do so with pattern data. metamodules help for things like sliding rhythms and polyrhythms, but you can also use the re-trigger effect along with the phase command.

check out this example. try putting your own sample in it and changing the patterns.
Attachments
Keres-Mindless_Automation_Break.sunvox
(60.39 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
nunrgguy

Post by nunrgguy »

Thanks for the replies, I’ll check out the link for sure.
I think the 800bpm idea is closer than ‘granular’ but that’s a bit of a PITA and requires you right at the outset of creating a track to decide that in some point in the future you’re going to use a sample in that way, it’s a crude workaround at best. I don’t work that way, I chuck stuff at the wall as I go along and see what sticks, I’d literally have to work all songs at 800bpm ‘just in case’. If you’re going to do that using a tracker becomes clunky imo, you’re going to be working with huge, long patterns etc. It would take me a month of Sunday’s to programme the drums because a 16th note then becomes...how many lines on the grid?
I often Resample sound from synths/through effects that have movement in them, which then obviously becomes a static sample. In some other daws/samplers (and back in the hardware days) I’d trigger the sample initially from different start points but then ‘move around’ within the sample WHILE it was actually playing. You can simulate the original filter being automated for example scanning through the sample one way give you it opening, scanning in reverse it’s closing (or I’ve done I’d with sounds that have modulation fx recorded into them). Granular could do it as well but it’s a completely smooth (to the ear) transition. It’s basically scanning through a sample the same way a wavetable synth scans through a wavetable.
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
nunrgguy

Post by nunrgguy »

Thanks, I’ll check it out :)

Something I’m not sure of and will have to try with the 800bpm thing is tempo change within a track. I’m not certain if this is session wide or just within a single pattern: in Sunvox you can have multiple patterns playing at the same time. If it’s possible to have, say, two patterns running together at 150bpm and another layered with them that runs at 600bpm (but is 4 times as long) to give the finer granularity within that pattern. One for me to try out.