Keyboard scaling

Hindsite

Keyboard scaling

Post by Hindsite »

New to SunVox, but would like to see a user friendly way of constraining the keyboard to set scales.
Keres

Re: Keyboard scaling

Post by Keres »

ok, no answers to this because it is a topic much discussed. The MultiSynth is the tool that does exactly that. In the module's options, you see sliders for "transpose" and the like. at the bottom is a graph. that graph is X=note and Y= Volume. so, just turn off all the sharps and flats. now you have a Cmaj scale. you can connect more than one multisynth together to compensate for the other notes, just turn the sharps and flats up only adn tune them however.

here is an example of a Cmaj scale. this module will allow only the C-maj notes to be played on the keyboard, but there is a slider for "Root Transpose" and this slides the root of the scale up or down in half steps.

It is possible to get micro tuning, arpeggios, or anything you would like. you just need to dive in there and learn how the Multisynth works.
Attachments
Keres_Scaler.sunsynth
(3.7 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
sunblox

Post by sunblox »

Hello Keres

Thanks for the example module, it works well for the C Major scale.

There was this project from a few years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9eZzXstI6s with all the scales mapped out; https://github.com/metrasynth/gallery/t ... ter/scales

These seem to be broken in the latest version on my Android, while yours work.

While looking at your example for clues, it goes from multisynth input -> multisynth filter -> multisynth [?] -> output.

My question is how are you able to get such accurate lines on the multisynth x,y graph. I am on Android is it possible to have those get such accurate lines on the touch screen? If so how?
Keres

Post by Keres »

hmmm, using a mouse?

the sunvox interface in on a small android phone can be frustrating. i suggest getting a mouse (bluetooth). you can also stretch the window with the multisynth parameters (or the parameters for any syth) so you can see more detail. with some practice you can get the hang of adjusting individual notes.

also, helps to save prior work so you dont have to repeat steps.
blacbeard

Post by blacbeard »

I too am interested in different note inputs and scales using the qwerty method. I have attempted remapping the keyboard shortcuts to make a custom isomorphic keyboard and found the remapping feature a little buggy. Some keys worked well and then would not work the next time Sunvox was reloaded requiring the keys to be remapped again. It would be useful to have the option of selecting scales and note input type so that they are mapped out using the whole QWERTY keyboard. Examining the scaler meta that has been offered as an example to work around this challenge, it still does not solve the issue that all the 'dead' keys on either side of the sharps and flats are not functional under the standard mapping.

With multiple selectable mappings with the keyboard all these options and more are available
Chromatic isomorphic keyboard over 4 octave (direct key above is a perfect 5th higher as in on a guitar tuning scale)
All western heptatonic and pentatonic scales and modes over 4 octaves with only the notes of the scale in the sequence (this is used in Korg Gadget and Garageband)
All non western scales (Japanese, Gypsy, Klezmer etc.)
Isomorphic hex layouts (like the Axis-49 midi controllers)
Transposing and changing root notes

I believe that by offering a wider range of input methods, it would unleash more melodic and musical potential within the program and increase SV user base. One of the main attractions to the Polyend Tracker for me is the selectable note input methods on the grid. I think SV is a much more powerful tracker than the Polyend and this feature would easily make it a far more enticing proposition on all platforms.

On mobile, the Theremin input section could allow for isomorphic hex and square layouts for note input and also allow for playing the rationalised scales and modes like you can in Garageband and Gadget as described above. Preferably without the glissando sliding between notes, which would render polyphonic playing difficult at best.

I love all the new modules and capabilities of SV but wish the note input section could be revamped to allow more versatile input.

...and a new updated sampler with automation control over envelopes and wavetables...please.
jbw

Post by jbw »

Would be great to see Custom Scales with the new keyboard in 2.1.