Add Decay/Sustain controls to more modules

dbrz

Add Decay/Sustain controls to more modules

Post by dbrz »

So, I've tried several times to hack in some kind of decay/sustain envelope setting--usually by hooking up a multisynth to play both the main module *and* a kicker hooked up to a Sound2Ctl to boost the main module's volume when it first plays.

However, this is kind of annoying, and I don't see any reason why we can't have full A/D/S/R controls on everything that outputs sound. The FM module has it, why can't the Generator and Analogue Generator have it?
Keres

Re: Add Decay/Sustain controls to more modules

Post by Keres »

You have to use the "dirty" waveform with the snd2ctrl. Or use an amp with the DC all the way up/down with the ßnd2ctrl.
Keres

Post by Keres »

You do know how to amplify a signal by an envelope right?
Keres

Post by Keres »

Ok, u just have to be patient.... You are right to ask the question, but it is a deep question to answer since this is the Holy Grail of audio apps.
Keres

Post by Keres »

Ok, look at this example file. Here you have a noise source ( the LFOs) into an amp. The amp's fine volume is controled by a snd2ctrl. The input sound to the snd2ctrl is a generator with the drawn waveform. With the waveform drawn all the way up, it acts like direct voltage from an analog VCA. now u can use the env an sustain settings to trigger your noise source. Here I have a multisynth to trigger the env, but you can also use the generator.

Also, I have the sample rate of the snd2ctrl at 500hz. Values higher take more CPU and don't really have much more effect.
Attachments
Keres_ENV_EXAMPLE.sunvox
(4.41 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

Keres wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:43 am Also, I have the sample rate of the snd2ctrl at 500hz. Values higher take more CPU and don't really have much more effect.
You may further reduce the complexity by replacing the s2ctrl and amp with a modulator, if only using the envelop for volume control.

And ADSR for every modules is possible, but it can only be done in monophonic/paraphonic way:
Like Keres suggested, "dirty" generators with DC offset are needed, but this time, 2 generators are required (both set to 1 polyphony).
One of the generator has the sustain on, while other one is not.
Use a multiCtrl to control both generator's attack.
The "decay" is come from the "release" without sustain
The "sustain" is made of 2 generators cross fading the volume each others with multiCtrl.
And "release" is come from the "release" in the generator with sustain.
Then group all the signal with an amp for output.

And other method is make use of sampler envelope, draw a dc offset in the sampler and use the built in envelope generator.