Merge: Use Output as anchor point + Merge into layer

Saltbearer

Merge: Use Output as anchor point + Merge into layer

Post by Saltbearer »

It would be good for me to combine certain WIPs, but I'm less inclined to do that when Merge would pile dozens of modules on top of the base project. I can select all patterns and move them out of the way, but I can't do that with modules.

The solution that seems most intuitive to me: treat the Output module as an anchor point - merge the incoming project's modules relative to the Output's position. Maybe even include an option to mirror the module layout - my projects usually have the Output poking out on the right side, with a lot of open space beyond it. Mirroring would place it cleanly between the two projects!

Another idea just hit me: Merge could treat the active project A layer as the base layer of the incoming project B, so project B's layer 1 would be merged into A's selected layer 3, and B's layer 2 would be merged into A's 4.

Hmm... I like to keep everything within reach, so I almost never place modules above layer 1. Might be less convenient for people who take better advantage of layers for organization. I suppose if someone's B project would merge past A's layer 8, it could wrap around? Or treat a layer below the selected as the base? Or dump everything past 8 into 8?
Keres

Re: Merge: Use Output as anchor point + Merge into layer

Post by Keres »

i dont understand anything about that... you mean you have too many modules on each layer and you need an "auto-cleanup" feature?

i think it would be cool if the layer buttons also functioned as mute buttons and could just be grayed out for sound, but u can do that with MIDI CC, so...
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

I have about a hundred modules in one project and a compatible-sounding project with a hundred more in about the same places. Just annoying to have to rearrange so many individual modules vs. loading them in another spot.
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

I'd also like to be able to choose where merged modules are placed.

When pasting a module, it is placed in the centre of wherever the 'crosshairs' are.

The same behaviour for the merging of modules would be perfect for me.

This might be a hindrance for some - as it requires consideration of the crosshair's position before merging.

The default behaviour could be as it is now, with a menu item to allow 'merge modules to crosshairs position'.

Combining this with the ability to select multiple modules (as we can do for patterns) would encourage more experimentation.
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

With regards to the layers, the merge could also have a menu option to 'merge to base layer' 'merge to current layer'.