Exporting .wav by pattern

SolarLune

Exporting .wav by pattern

Post by SolarLune »

Yo! It'd be nice if SunVox supported exporting wav files by pattern. Also, the ability to export files by multiple patterns on the Y-axis (so a string of patterns on the same horizontal level gets a single wav).
NeuroNoNeuro

Re: Exporting .wav by pattern

Post by NeuroNoNeuro »

Yeah, I was looking for this, and found that it's possible to export via selection of a module, or each module, but it's a full-length track.

Let's say I want to make a single pattern export - not possible in the main sequencer. I bet it's possible via a Metamodule? I'm just looking for a quick 'n easy 'select pattern, export pattern to .WAV'.
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

The quickest way I can think of (in theory) is:

Save as and make a copy of the project (so you don't overwrite your song)
Highlight the pattern/s you want to render.
Copy.
Select all modules.
Delete.
(Now you have an empty timeline.)
Paste.
(Now you have just the patterns you want to render in the timeline.)
Move these patterns to the start of the timeline.
Render.

Second method:
Resample internally using the sampler module.
There is enough flexibility that you could set this for one pattern. AFAIK, there is no 'one pattern' setting - instead it would be a combo of sampler settings, playhead position to determine recording start and a pattern cmd to stop playback at the end of the pattern.
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

I can visualise doing this via metamodule too -

Save project containg pattern you want to export - projectX.
Create a new project - projectY.
Open up projectX as a metamodule inside projectY.
Create a pattern inside ProjectY to playback X.
Use phase command to start it from the appropriate point. Length of the pattern determines end point.

Might need to edit the metamodule to mute any patterns at the same time marker if you don't want them in the render.

And it might be a headache working out the phase.

Each method has it's pros/cons. I can see the metamodule method being used as a happy accident generator.
NeuroNoNeuro

Post by NeuroNoNeuro »

a1matt wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:56 pm Each method has it's pros/cons. I can see the metamodule method being used as a happy accident generator.
Yep, that’s what I figured! Thanks for taking the time to answer this - it’s a small feature that would only speed up workflow for a few, but would be quite fast!
Keres

Post by Keres »

cant you just solo the pattern/instruments and play them into a new sampler? you could even get fancy and use the 30 command to trigger the auto start/stop feature in the recording mechanism of the sampler.
NeuroNoNeuro

Post by NeuroNoNeuro »

Keres wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:47 pm cant you just solo the pattern/instruments and play them into a new sampler? you could even get fancy and use the 30 command to trigger the auto start/stop feature in the recording mechanism of the sampler.
Who knows? Maybe! I just started using this solidly a week ago, after mastering Renoise. I’ll find out, I guess? Thanks, Keres 🙂
Keres

Post by Keres »

i dont know how long you have been tracking, but with most trackers, when you create a track (sample down) that is the same length as the pattern it came from the offset commands line up perfectly. for example, if you created a synth breakbeat out of a pile of generators and multisynths, then connected them to a compressor/amp/distortion whatever, then you hooked that amp into a sampler, when you record from the sampler there are options for "auto start on project start" and "auto stop on project stop" then you use a 30 (song stop command) at the end of your pattern, hit record, and when you play the pattern through, the sampler will record your synthbreak at the same exact length as your pattern. now when you use the "phase" command on that sample, 07xxxx, it will correspond to an exact position, like 4000 will be half way, 2000 will be 25%, 6000 will be 75%, so it is easy to chop up or divide into other instruments.
NeuroNoNeuro

Post by NeuroNoNeuro »

Keres wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:03 pm i dont know how long you have been tracking, but with most trackers, when you create a track (sample down) that is the same length as the pattern it came from the offset commands line up perfectly. for example, if you created a synth breakbeat out of a pile of generators and multisynths, then connected them to a compressor/amp/distortion whatever, then you hooked that amp into a sampler, when you record from the sampler there are options for "auto start on project start" and "auto stop on project stop" then you use a 30 (song stop command) at the end of your pattern, hit record, and when you play the pattern through, the sampler will record your synthbreak at the same exact length as your pattern. now when you use the "phase" command on that sample, 07xxxx, it will correspond to an exact position, like 4000 will be half way, 2000 will be 25%, 6000 will be 75%, so it is easy to chop up or divide into other instruments.
Thanks, Keres! I figured out what I was looking to do, and it works. It's not quite as quick 'n easy as Renoise, but it works solidly. I'm finding that SunVox works very well, especially for the music I do. I enjoy Renoise for what it is, but I'm finding that some of the stuff I've been begging for really isn't up to what SunVox can do - PM/FM synthesis, granular, additive, heck even some wacky time-stretching techniques. It either can't be done in Renoise at all, or can't be done live/real-time, like SunVox can. On top of that, while there's a few small things that Renoise CAN do (combine patterns into one, export pattern to sample, etc.), SunVox more than makes up for that by what it can do.

I make lowercase/microsound/glitch music and am into abstract labels and such (LINEimprint, 12k, etc.). Been doing this electronic music for 26 years? Tracking for the past 4 or 5, and getting into the micro-details. SunVox always caught my eye, but I had to build my way up to it. Tried it many times, now is the time to use SunVox instead of other trackers. It has features like Jeskola Buzz and Bitwig (the modular stuff), and has Max/MSP stuff (granular/PM/FM). Lots of sine waves and noise, additive and metallic sounds. All able to be modulated, unlike single-cycle samples. Since synthesis of sounds is one of my favorite things, the sound-design within SunVox is spectacular. I also like the precision of trackers, and SunVox has it. Along with the Looper that AutumnCheney has created, and the superb reverb, accurate EQ/filters - heck. Popping out tracks just as easily as Renoise.

Finally, the sequencing of patterns is unique compared to Renoise. It feels like I'm working with artistic scraps of paper and am able to shift the sounds around into clumps - this is so the music can 'sound' generative without cheating and making it generative. I can COUNT on the results of my sequencing AND have very flexible pattern positioning - slide it anywhere. So, this is what I did in Renoise: https://neurononeuro.bandcamp.com/album/day-to-day-ep

Now, I just have to learn how to work the SunVox DAW to get the same 'sound' for my mastering template, it's pretty much already there. I also enjoy the color schemes of SunVox, and am one day going to work on my own even more. I do wish some of the sliders and text were more editable, and I found the .config file to edit and the other stuff I can do to it (something like 30 other things). I just have to learn how to 'understand' the names and what they do.