Pattern display suggestion

Koekepan

Pattern display suggestion

Post by Koekepan »

Problem:
One of the cool things about patterns is the nice icon display.

One of the problems is that those icons are not particularly revealing about what is actually in the pattern.

Request:
How about a pattern display option which amounts to a condensed pianoroll version of what's in the pattern?

It doesn't have to be a detailed rendition, for example it might just be one octave wide, with all the octaves overlaid, but it would make laying out patterns with reference to each other's progress just a little bit easier so as to help manage timing.

Why I think it's possible:
Pixels are already displayed in tracks.
The information of which notes are played, and when, is already clearly available.

Ultimately, this is just another workflow related request, linking what the composer sees with what is happening in the piece.
samrai katt kovboy

Re: Pattern display suggestion

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

I have a system.
As I normally use an exaggerated number of machines there is a necessity to organize and I do the following-
I organize the pattern blocks in different colours according to instruments, black for bass, Red for rhythm instruments, green for melody etc ...
Then I just place them according to the different colours of the layers.
It works pretty good and it makes you find your different parts easy.
And you can number the ones that have a change in them.

Maybe it works good enough for you to?

I am just concerned that Mr Nightradio is not working on more substantial upgrades ha ha ha...
Which are always exciting!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

It's not just about arranging the patterns with respect to organising them, but also seeing where different transitions are in patterns with respect to each other, in other words it's for measuring timing, not identifying parts.

I certainly like substantial upgrades, but it's already such a great system that workflow improvements are what I mostly look for, rather than fundamental capabilities.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

I always thought it would be nice to be able to number pattern blocks as 00-FF, but its true that colouring them works fine too.