Sunvox for Android features.

CountSymphonic1

Sunvox for Android features.

Post by CountSymphonic1 »

Sunvox is the best we have for Android, the other's just don't compare. Thank you for bringing the wonderful Sunvox to Android and iOS. I find that Sunvox is a work of art on it's own.

USB midi keyboard support - You can't hide from this one forever, Caustic already has it. Too bad their sequencer interface is inferior, well... in my opinion. So I have an M-Audio keyboard and a YRG Gen 2 Limited Edition which is like the guitar of midi keyboards and fairly popular. I know alot of people are wanting to see midi support implemented in the Android version, for recording and performance. Why performance? Because Sunvox is SUPER as a software synthesizer and has the potential to be used as a LIVE VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT! Don't underestimate Sunvox as just a tracker... it's so much more than this. I would be willing to test USB midi support on my devices, if needed. Android customers looking for a powerful Software synthesizer and sampler with quality effects to use with their fancy new midi keyboard or midi flute, guitar, drums, ALL on the go... should look no further than Sunvox. Considering what else is on the market, this is a steal here.

Tabbed Modular Tracking - Borrowing from web browsers... such as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, here's a feature that will make Sunvox a much more fun to use tracker. Now, I use lots of instruments and effects in Sunvox, and it's very easy to get lost in all the little squares, even after naming each module and keeping them in their separate groups. I've wondered if there was a way to keep things more separate... welcome to "Tabbed Modular Tracking" (think tabbed web browsing) but for tracking. This could create a new issue, but that would be easily fixed by having the option to make certain modules "universal", for example... the output module. It wouldn't make sense to have a graphical representation of a separate out module for each "tab", having 25 output modules in one song would be rediculous, and programmatically not sensible. Same with certain effects. If we want all of our tracks to run through one compressor, or reverb module, we could have the option to make these effects modules "universal"... in other words, this one reverb module would show up in all of the tabs, but it would always be the same module, no matter which tab we're in. Let me know if you'd like further ideas, or clarification. Tabbed Modular Tracking would be a great way to keep everything clean, and would help with workflow in my opinion. You could name each tab (percussion, orchestral, 8-bit, whatever you want!) If there was ever a customer afraid to use Sunvox because of the potential clutter of modules, this would be the features that sells to them.

Thanks for listening. I look forward to see where this goes. Even without these features, Sunvox is absolutely superb. I always like to think of ways to make great things greater. Oh and... please tell me what you think! :wink:
Cory
El Nino

Re: Sunvox for Android features.

Post by El Nino »

I heard that android midi contolled instruments still have 72ms latency problem because of some problem in android OS itself. impossible to have less than 72ms latency. if android had no latency problem it would be much better than ios. its file system is normal directory structure. making folders and importing large amounts of samples without facing any obstacles. just like usb hard drive, drag and drop.
I know what you mean about it getting crowded when using lots of modules in a song. The hide/show layers function is similar to tabs only there are not multiple pages. Using metamodules and the layers thing together is a good way to organise the really over crowded module screen sometimes (like 100 modules or more). The tabbed idea sounds a bit like how things are arranged in jasuto.
CountSymphonic1

Post by CountSymphonic1 »

There is a latency with Android, you're absolutely right. Ive messed with it before, 72 milliseconds of latency really isn't all that bad, only a tiny fraction of a second. I've played with the USB midi within caustic and it's very usable. Those that have issues using midi with that small amount of latency only need to practice with it until they get used to it, Sunvox makes an outstanding software synthesizer / sampler, if only we had full USB midi support implemented. Would you not be able to appreciate a such a powerful feature?

You have a very good point, I had no idea about layers. So I checked it out. Color coding is a fairly good way to organize things, its better than nothing. It would be better to use names rather than colors and here's why. Sure you could come up with your own way of working with the colors, red = strings, blue = FM synths... but really, some times we like to explore different genres, and use different types of instruments... ethnic, pads, etc. What if some of our Sunvox users are color blind? Yes there is also numbers, but naming would be more elegant, no? The layer system is great, I didn't realize it existed and it's similar to the Tabbed Modular Tracking idea I had in mind, wouldn't naming the layers be more efficient than colors and numbers? Think about it for a minute. I'm very glad that there is a layer system in place however.

It's important to think about all types of people when designing software for the general public. I have to say, I really love Sunvox. The features I'm requesting aren't necessarily MAJOR, but the smallest things can make a huge difference. There's always ways to make something efficient, more efficient. Hence, better.
More feedback is welcome.
trekeyus

Post by trekeyus »

midi i/o on android would be a welcome addition. I would be more then happy if at the very least you could get midi over wifi/bluetooth to work with android for those of us without usb host mode.