'write sample offset to effect for length of sample'

Kid_lofi

'write sample offset to effect for length of sample'

Post by Kid_lofi »

So I just had this idea while I was writing this post https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5910:
If sunvox is capable of interpolating a sample's offset from a manually selected point, is it possible it could one day interpolate offset from an automatically detected point, such as the end of the sample? Or, extrapolate the sample offset for every step? This'd be a low-tech way of achieving a lot of the perks of adding samples directly to timeline (sample playback from any point along the timeline, cutting and moving sections of samples etc) but hopefully using a lot of the existing infrastructure SV already has.
I have no idea where in the UI it would make sense for an option like that to live. Possibly in the sample options window?

Also, sorry if something like this already exists or is in common knowledge, i been out of the sunvox scene for a little while, just got back into trackers recently as a bit of a mental health hobby during pandemic lockdown.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: 'write sample offset to effect for length of sample'

Post by NightRadio »

If sunvox is capable of interpolating a sample's offset from a manually selected point, is it possible it could one day interpolate offset from an automatically detected point, such as the end of the sample? Or, extrapolate the sample offset for every step?
I think this is exactly the way I want to achieve this functionality in the future.
The problem is that 16 bits (XXYY) is not enough to accurately indicate the timestamp without a click.
Kid_lofi

Re: 'write sample offset to effect for length of sample'

Post by Kid_lofi »

Of course that makes perfect sense. Curse you, numerical representations of time!
I actually quite like the click, it adds a nice crunchy texture to samples that are too clean. (less desirable for field recordings or similar complex and subtle sounds)
The audible artifacts of the technical limitations of a piece of equipment are often highly sought-after, like the famous SP-1200 'sound' caused by its brutal downsampling and interpolation!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.