Some difficulties/questions about Sampler

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
Hyfudiar

Some difficulties/questions about Sampler

Post by Hyfudiar »

Hello everyone. I've been using Sunvox for over a year now and am fairly proficient in it, but Sampler has always been a little fiddly to me and has never been something I've used much. I got an idea of something to try making with it (which may not be possible, see below), so I've been playing around with it a bunch today and run into some walls.
For a bit of context, what I was trying to do with it was have some sort of sound generator (I just made a little arpeggio into a Generator for testing it) going into some effect, then going into two Samplers, the output of which is fed through some slight distortion and back into the effect that was feeding the samplers to begin with. I was hoping to be able to trigger "record" for one Sampler in the tracker, which I don't think is possible (though it would be really nice if it was), then trigger it to stop and play the recording, then do the same thing on the other Sampler, and basically keep bouncing the recording back and forth between them, gradually getting more and more affected by the effect and distortion, wearing down the recording similarly to a tape loop (which is basically what I was trying to emulate with this).
However, this doesn't work, even beyond just not being able to trigger the recording in the tracker, and I think it really comes from me not understanding how exactly Sampler records, stores, and plays back samples. I have attached a screenshot of the current patch I'm using so you can see the signal flow.
Basically, at least one of the recorders simply doesn't record anything, even when audio is going into it. The recording button just flashes red. Sometimes (usually, I think) one of them will, sometimes it won't, and I really don't understand what determines that. And how do you control which of the 10 "sample slots" to record into? Are you unable to record over a sample slot that is already filled? Does it just really not want multiple instances of Sampler in a single patch? How do you control which sample slot is being played at any given time? I know there's the piano roll that lets you choose which notes play each sample, but as far as I can tell they're always all enabled for sample 0, meaning it seems like it will always play that one (in addition to any others you've enabled for a given note). I've been trying to find more detail about how exactly to use Sampler and how exactly it works (its explanation in the manual is extremely lacking) but I can't really find much and was hoping you all could help me out here.
Even if I have to manually hit record on these, I'd still like to get this working, and to do that I need to figure out why one of the samplers isn't working (I've also made this same patch on multiple computers and had the same problem). Thanks to any help you all can provide.
Attachments
Sampler array.PNG
Sampler array.PNG (24.9 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Some difficulties/questions about Sampler

Post by NightRadio »

Hi!

1. There is really no way to start sample recording from the pattern. But this feature is planed :)

2. The recording is made to the currently selected slot.

3. Modules 2,3,5 (and 2,4,6 too) are feedback (endless loop) which cannot be implemented in this way. But you can do it using two Feedback modules (say between 2 and 5): https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/manual.php#feedback
Hyfudiar

Post by Hyfudiar »

Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure if I needed the feedback modules because Sampler doesn't monitor while recording (I think?) and would thus dodge many common feedback loops, but that's good to know. Would the lack of feedback modules be interfering with me recording with one of the Samplers? I really don't understand why at least one of them refuses to record. I'll test it out tonight.

(By the way, thank you so much for creating and maintaining this absolutely incredible piece of software)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

The problem is that SunVox thinks that the Sampler always receives and sends a signal. Even when recording is stopped. Therefore, this kind of connection is regarded as an endless loop.
monoben

Post by monoben »

This probably isn't the elegant, real studio style solution you're looking for but you could use a bunch of echo modules with the dry cut and each one with a different delay value. Something like this:
Screenshot from 2022-11-04 22-25-10.png
Screenshot from 2022-11-04 22-25-10.png (10.01 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
Here is the example SunVox project:
Attachments
Sampler_Tape_Delay_Forum_Question.sunvox
(26.58 KiB) Downloaded 95 times