Sending MIDI between Android apps?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
Hitachii

Sending MIDI between Android apps?

Post by Hitachii »

Hello, it's my first post :)

First off, Sunvox rules! I've been taking the time to learn it on Android.

I'm actually not sure if this is a question specific to Sunvox or Android. Since Sunvox is capable of MIDI output, is there a way to send midi system wide so that apps can receive Sunvox's midi output? For example, if I would like to control Koala Sampler with the Sunvox tracker

currently, Sunvox recognizes a few of my music apps via the multi synth module. for two of the three apps (synprezfm and modsynth) it can play their default sounds directly from multi synth, even when the apps are closed. but when I open the apps, Sunvox doesn't appear to control the app itself, it's playing the default sound from somewhere else entirely.

If possible I would like to have separate multi synths sending midi through some Android midi handler that will be received by other apps. if there's another way I'd love to hear it. and if it's not possible, no problem. Sunvox has everything I need already. thanks!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Sending MIDI between Android apps?

Post by NightRadio »

Hi!
Hitachii wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:41 am currently, Sunvox recognizes a few of my music apps via the multi synth module. for two of the three apps (synprezfm and modsynth) it can play their default sounds directly from multi synth, even when the apps are closed. but when I open the apps, Sunvox doesn't appear to control the app itself, it's playing the default sound from somewhere else entirely.
Hm... Just tested it on my Samsung A51. SunVox can send MIDI notes to synprezfm. Then if i switch from SunVox to synprezfm window - MIDI transmission still works fine in the background.
Unfortunately the system can force quit SunVox that has been in the background for a minute, if the screen is off (device is locked) :(
Hitachii

Post by Hitachii »

thank you for checking. I also hooked up my phone running sunvox to my digitakt and it works very well. sunvox is receiving MIDI and sending audio out to the class compliant USB audio port. sunvox doesn't seem to receive audio from the digitakt, but that's not an issue. it makes for a powerful compact setup. can't wait to share some sunvox music :)
r3l1c

Post by r3l1c »

NightRadio wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:07 pm Hi!
Hitachii wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:41 am currently, Sunvox recognizes a few of my music apps via the multi synth module. for two of the three apps (synprezfm and modsynth) it can play their default sounds directly from multi synth, even when the apps are closed. but when I open the apps, Sunvox doesn't appear to control the app itself, it's playing the default sound from somewhere else entirely.
Hm... Just tested it on my Samsung A51. SunVox can send MIDI notes to synprezfm. Then if i switch from SunVox to synprezfm window - MIDI transmission still works fine in the background.
Unfortunately the system can force quit SunVox that has been in the background for a minute, if the screen is off (device is locked) :(

i think there's a way to disable smart quiting android feature per app