Clocking Sunvox from external MIDI on Linux ?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
justin

Clocking Sunvox from external MIDI on Linux ?

Post by justin »

Just wondering if the above is possible - don't want to send MIDI notes, just clock a Sunvox pattern from an Elektron Octatrack

Expecting a miracle :D I just plugged the two together, but nothing :sorry:

Can anyone confirm if this is possible or not, and point me in the right direction ?

TIA
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Clocking Sunvox from external MIDI on Linux ?

Post by NightRadio »

Can the Elektron send midi clock commands?
justin

Post by justin »

Yes absolutely. I use it to clock a wide range of MIDI hardware.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Ok!
Please go to the Main Menu -> Project Properties -> enable MIDI POSITION sync
And of course your controller must be set in the Preferences -> MIDI
justin

Post by justin »

@nightradio not having much luck with this one :(

I can set `Midi Position` under `Project Properties` -> `Sync` fine.

But `Preferences` -> `MIDI` is confusing me. Initially there was the `Jack` option, which Sunvox seemed to default to, but that didn't seem to work (ie nothing happened when I started the Elektron). I changed it from `Jack` to some value, and then the `Jack` option seemed to disappear. Now the options are `None`, `Timer`, `Announce` and `MIDI Through Port-0`. None of them seem to work.

What value should I expect to see for this field if things are working properly ? Should some Elektron- specific option appear ? And why did the `Jack` option disappear, and how can I get it back ?

Spasiba bolshe, Sunvox zamechatel'niy program :)
justin

Post by justin »

OK I finally got this to work (ish)

Problem was that you can't connect the Octatrack directly to OSX and expect things just to work. The OT has a USB output, but it's only for card management, not for MIDI. So you need a MIDI <-> USB bridge for the two to talk. Fortunately I had one in the shape of a Squarp Hermod modular. Connect the two via the Hermod and suddenly you can see the Hermod in the Sunvox MIDI In Options :D Set Hermod `Clock Source` to `MIDI Port` and you can send Start/Stop signals from the OT to Sunvox :)

But it's not perfect. For one thing, the start command always resets the Sunvox pattern to the start of the track. I was hoping you might be able to start at an arbitrary point. Toggling the MIDI Sync `Position` button didn't seem to do anything. For another, Sunvox didn't seem to respond to changes in tempo from the OT, even if I set the Sync `Tempo` option.

Any thoughts on how to faciltate the above ?

Many thanks.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Any thoughts on how to faciltate the above?
Please can you check it with some MIDI Monitor on macOS / iOS?
macOS: https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/
iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midi-wren ... mpt=uo%3D4

I would like to see what specific MIDI commands the monitor receives while you press the START button or change the TEMPO on OT.
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

interesting, I too ran into this issue when trying to score sunvox music to a movie (synced over midi).
I'll see if i can provide some midi clock output from my electribe, so nightradio has more testdata.
Last edited by leondustar on Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

leondustar wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:33 am interesting, I too ran into this issue when trying to score sunvox music to a movie (synced over midi).

I'll see if i can provide some midi clock output from my electribe, so nightradio has more testdata.
update the electribe doesn't send clockdata :ROFL:
Keres

Post by Keres »

i haven't tried this in a while, but when i used Ardor, it did pick up from the song position. If you are using jack, try a program like Ardor as the master song transport and sync both the MIDI hardware and Sunvox
maks

Post by maks »

leondustar wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:04 pm
leondustar wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:33 am interesting, I too ran into this issue when trying to score sunvox music to a movie (synced over midi).

update the electribe doesn't send clockdata :ROFL:
Sorry bit late to this thread, but which Electribe are you referring too? The Electribe 2 certainly *does* send midi clock messages.