Any way to loop a section of the timeline for a set amount of times? (Sort of Solved)

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
DamnSpiffy

Any way to loop a section of the timeline for a set amount of times? (Sort of Solved)

Post by DamnSpiffy »

I have a project which consists of one group of patterns for two measures that repeats throughout. I would like to set that part of the timeline to repeat for a set amount of times, then move on the the fadeout.

I know I can simply clone the patterns and copy for the desired length, but I am trying to find another way to do this.
I also don't want to just loop the audio because there is variations happening each time the patterns are played.
Does anyone know if this is possible?
Last edited by DamnSpiffy on Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keres

Re: Any way to loop a section of the timeline for a set amount of times?

Post by Keres »

from the manual: https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/manual.php

31 - Jump to line XXYY (address) right after the end of the current line.

32 - Set jump address mode YY:

0: jump to absolute address, relative to the start of the timeline (default);
1: jump to ( pattern beginning + address );
2: jump to ( pattern beginning - address );
3: jump to ( next line + address );
4: jump to ( next line - address ).

so, first decide what your mode is,then figure out where you want it.

::::OR:::::

put the track in a metamodule, set the metamodule to play pattern, use a multisynth to trigger it, then trigger the parts you need to be repeated using the phase command.

::::OR:::::

use a series of Delay or Echo effects set to lines with the dry signal muted.
DamnSpiffy

Post by DamnSpiffy »

OK. I've experimented with the 31 and 32 effects. I can make it jump to the beginning of the pattern I'm on, or jump to the next pattern. What I want it to do is loop the first pattern for a set amount of times (to the equivalent of about 10 minutes) then jump to the next pattern to end the song. Is there a way to change the parameter of 31 after a certain amount of times? Maybe with Velocity2Ctrl?
sunvoxSimpleSong.png
sunvoxSimpleSong.png (6.99 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Keres

Post by Keres »

Well, it is not intuitive like in other trackers... say Impulse tracker with the Bxx and Cxx commands.

https://github.com/schismtracker/schism ... ITTECH.TXT

Bxx Jump to Order

ProcessOrder = xx - 1;
ProcessRow = 0xFFFE; // indicates new pattern internally for IT...

Cxx Break to Row

BreakRow = xx;
ProcessRow = 0xFFFE;

obviously, Sunvox has no Cxx command to break off to a different step in the sequence. BUT! that does not mean all is lost. check out my example file, i sortof did what you are after, except i haven't refined it to the exact sequence you require, but you can see that using command 39xxyy can be very effective. Im sure that there are many many ways to do what you are asking to do... in fact i know that using the echo module can do exactly that, but let me ask the obvious question: why not just loop your patterns in the sequence layout that many times? :unknown: :unknown: :unknown:
Attachments
Keres - Pattern Example 2021-07-07 13-24.sunvox
(5.21 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Keres

Post by Keres »

oh... wait wait... Nightradio prolly didnt put a break command in there because it is redundant. look at the jump modes, im not a super genius like he is, but i bet u could set up a pattern break using a change in the jump mode... oh well, guess i have more experimenting to do myself!
DamnSpiffy

Post by DamnSpiffy »

Thanks for responding to my query, Keres!

To answer the obvious question, yes I could just clone the patterns (which is what I ended up doing anyway), but I was curious to see if there was another way to do it; maybe in a way that might make the timeline little more efficient without having an extended length of cloned patterns.

I have also been looking at effects commands and had come up with something that ran parallel to your idea. I have posted the example file here.
The first track of the pattern meant to repeat has two "32" effects: one that sets the jump address to the next pattern, and right below it, one that sets the jump to the current pattern. The next track has a destructive "39" effect that shifts the first track down by 1 tick with a "31" that jumps to the beginning of the pattern.

The idea is that the first pattern will repeat as long as the last "32" effect sets the jump to the current pattern. When the "39" command shift the track down enough, then the "32" that set the pattern to the current pattern will be shifted to the beginning of the track, making the last "32" command the one that sets it to the next pattern, then it jumps to the next pattern where the song continues and ends. This was actually what I was looking for.

Unfortunately there are couple of drawbacks that made it useless for my project:
  1. The effect is destructive, meaning if you want run the song again, you have to 'reset' the first track's position manually or reload the sunvox file.
  2. This method doesn't properly render to WAV. It renders the repeats up to the point where the "39" effect would shift the "32" command back up to the start and then the render just stops. The only way for this effect to properly record is to play it live to whatever DAW or audio recorder you have. I want to have this project quickly render so that wasn't an option for me.
In any case, I present my findings here in case anyone finds this technique useful. Keres, you're solution was very interesting actually almost overcame the WAV render problem I had. I'll have to experiment as well.
Attachments
DamnSpiffy - Shifty Repeat.sunvox
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 93 times