How does the autosave work?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
jugger

How does the autosave work?

Post by jugger »

After having Sunvox crash and losing some work on windows 10, I started to have a closer look into how the different saving options work in Sunvox.

If I use the shortcut to save BACKUP.sunvox, it saves the file into the directory where the binaries exist and works as expected. However I haven't figured out the autosave function yet. Let's say I set Autosave to "every 1 min", I still don't see it automatically saving anywhere (song folder, binary folder or roaming folder), even if I wait couple of minutes and have made some changes to the song. Where is this autosave file created and stored?

Another question is about the setting "Make project backup before overwrite". When overwriting first time the original project, it creates the backup file into the song folder as expected. But when overwriting the second time, it doesn't update the backup file unless I delete the old file first. Is this intended behavior?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: How does the autosave work?

Post by NightRadio »

If I use the shortcut to save BACKUP.sunvox, it saves the file into the directory where the binaries exist and works as expected. However I haven't figured out the autosave function yet. Let's say I set Autosave to "every 1 min", I still don't see it automatically saving anywhere (song folder, binary folder or roaming folder), even if I wait couple of minutes and have made some changes to the song. Where is this autosave file created and stored?
With autosave the .sunvox_prev_session.sunvox will be created in the directory with the binaries.
The file will be automatically saved only if any changes are made to the project.
The file has a dot at the beginning, so it is considered invisible by default. Please check the option "Show hidden files" in the File Explorer: View > Options > Change folder and search options > View tab > Advanced settings

Another question is about the setting "Make project backup before overwrite". When overwriting first time the original project, it creates the backup file into the song folder as expected. But when overwriting the second time, it doesn't update the backup file unless I delete the old file first. Is this intended behavior?
This is intended behavior :)
jugger

Re: How does the autosave work?

Post by jugger »

Ahh, it all makes sense now! So without the autosave function on, the file .sunvox_prev_session.sunvox is created only on program exit and deleted automatically once opening Sunvox again and having loaded it in.

Спасибо за объяснение :)