Mute midi out?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
enzyme

Mute midi out?

Post by enzyme »

Does anyone know if there an uncomplicated way of muting midi out coming from multisynths? I have one multisynth driving 2 others by passing it's sequencer notes on (which are all routed to an external synth) but I would sometimes like to mute the second and third multisynths. I know I can mute the modules but it doesn't seem to affect the midi out. Automating the multisynth velocity doesn't seem to do anything either.

I'm hoping I'm completely overlooking something obvious, otherwise I'll have to build a kind of multisynth crossfader or something like that :%)
Keres

Re: Mute midi out?

Post by Keres »

double click the Multisynth, choose MIDI out never?
queries

Post by queries »

MIDI processing seems to bypass some things like solo and mute. I don't think muting a multisynth stops it from sending note info further down the chain. It just stops audio generation in that chain.

I tried a few experiments and here's something you can do as a workaround, while still allowing you to control it using a pattern if desired:

Split each of your MIDI out multisynths into pairs. The first of each pair would receive notes from your master multisynth, and act as a muter. The second would perform your MIDI out.

For the first of each pair, turn on the option "7E - ignore notes with zero velocity". Now you can use the "03 - Velocity" controller on those as a mute switch. If it's 256, then notes are passed through to the MIDI out multisynth. If it's 0, then notes are withheld and no MIDI events are generated.
enzyme

Post by enzyme »

Thanks guys! I'll try this out later, it will probably become a set part of my workflow once I've got it set up :)
enzyme

Post by enzyme »

Works great, thanks again!