Can effect commands on the sequencer control midi out?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
enzyme

Can effect commands on the sequencer control midi out?

Post by enzyme »

2 weeks into starting out with Sunvox and the rabbits sealed off the exit of the hole I fell down 8)

I'm struggling to use the arp command with midi out, then it occurred to me that maybe it's not even implemented. Can anyone shed any light on this? Do the sequencer effect commands work on midi out?
queries

Re: Can effect commands on the sequencer control midi out?

Post by queries »

I just tried myself using a MIDI monitor app, and sure enough, the 08 arpeggiator effect doesn't cause MIDI notes to be sent out for the arpeggiation.

This is even if you connect one MultiSynth to another, sending the note + arp effect to the first one and then using the second one for the MIDI out. Still just a single note on/off pair.
queries

Post by queries »

By experimenting with Pitch2Ctl and Ctl2Note as a bridge between the two, I've observed that the arpeggiator is changing the pitch in a single track rather than using a new track for each note. The MIDI out will send a note on for the first pitch, ignore any pitch changes on that track due to arpeggiation/glide/etc, and then send a note off.

So, if you want MIDI out, you're better off manually programming your arpeggiations, and possibly using a metamodule to wrap them up in a way that you like.
queries

Post by queries »

Here's an example of the metamodule solution I described.
enzyme

Post by enzyme »

Thanks Queries, I appreciate the help! Sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm making a mistake or the feature isn't even there.

I'll take a proper look at your example later tonight and see if I can translate it to MIDI 8)
queries

Post by queries »

The example actually uses MIDI already. There's no tracker notes sent directly to the Analog Generator. The MultiSynth outputs MIDI to SunVox, and then the Analog Generator picks it up from the MIDI it receives. :)
enzyme

Re: Can effect commands on the sequencer control midi ou

Post by enzyme »

Thanks again, I understand it a bit better now :)

I'm still a little confused on the effect commands and MIDI out, seems like some work and some don't. For example, probability options work fine, but slides don't seem to do anything.

Edit: I just realised that's a bad example, slides aren't going to work on an external synth without a cc command specific to the synth.
blakeadam

Post by blakeadam »

the 08 arpeggiator effect doesn't cause MIDI notes to be sent out for the arpeggiation.

I just tried myself using a MIDI monitor app.

This is even if you connect one MultiSynth to another, sending the note + arp effect to the first one and then using the second one for the MIDI out.

Still just a single note on/off pair.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

the 08 arpeggiator effect doesn't cause MIDI notes to be sent out for the arpeggiation.
08 effect uses Pitch Change commands (without phase reset), but not the Note On commands.
It is similar to the effects 01, 02, 03
This is why it doesn't work with MIDI
We probably need some another arpeggio effect with Note ON/OFF commands...
Keres

Post by Keres »

look in the manual about MIDI cc and then just hook up a metamodule full of multisynths to a multisynth on your midi chan.