Loose doubletrack

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
stugood

Loose doubletrack

Post by stugood »

I have loosely doubled two long guitar samples. When I get to a faster tempo they are too out of time. Are there any suggestions on how to remedy this? Should I cut the sample? I want the duplicate to be loose for the verse, as it creates a nice effect, just not for the middle segment.
a1matt

Re: Loose doubletrack

Post by a1matt »

If they start off in synch and then drift apart as playback progresses then my first thing would be to retrigger them as often as needed to bring them back in time.

You can use the 07 command if you want to avoid destructively chopping samples up.

If they are more significantly out of time, then I'd pitch the samples.

Or a combo of both techniques.

I think there is an art to sampling, so this is just ideas to explore rather than specific solutions. I'm sure there are other approaches too.
stugood

Post by stugood »

I haven't tried the 07 command. I use long samples for guitar playing which has often been a challenge. Retriggering a sample from a certain point would be useful. I'm not sure what you mean by pitch the samples; do you mean have different pitches so the lagging doesn't sound harmonically bad? This is really useful, thanks.
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

I was envisioning pitching the samples by going into the module properties for the sampler and adjusting the fine tune. This will slow down or speed up the sample so that it's timing changes. (You can do the same thing by clicking on the 'edit' button located underneath the sample modules controllers and adjusting the pitch for individual samples.)

This would work if your recorded guitar samples are both at a steady speed, but not the same speed as eachother.

I do this often with drum loops to get them to match the tempo of a song.

There is a good chance it will not sound good to the ear with guitar samples as it will detune them and they may sound out of key. (07 doesn't have this issue).
stugood

Post by stugood »

I could totally try. This is a good idea, thanks.