Let's talk about reverb

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
burij

Let's talk about reverb

Post by burij »

Hi Folks,
I would like to understand the stock sunvox reverb a little better. Does somebody know one or more of those things:
- is there any predelay or do you need to use delay module to create predelay?
- if there is, is it fix length or is it attached to some parameter like room size? If it is attached how to translate it's scale in ms?
- feedback is, what you call decay on most reverbs, right?
- what does all-pass exactly do? In my understanding it does some hi- and low-pass. How much exactly? If I turne it of, I have the feeling, some frequencies are still filtered out.
- nothing to do with sunvox per se, nur general concept: is my understanding correct, that dumping simulates more soft surfaces in the room. On the other side dumping = 0 means the virtual walls are build from something very plain and hard like Metall?

Thanks in advance!
You can download my exclusive Sunvox-Metamodules here: https://label.weddinger-schule.de/category/tools/
a1matt

Re: Let's talk about reverb

Post by a1matt »

burij wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:10 am Hi Folks,
I would like to understand the stock sunvox reverb a little better. Does somebody know one or more of those things:
- is there any predelay or do you need to use delay module to create predelay?
I use the delay module as there is no inbuilt predelay (as far as I can tell).

Another option is to use a compressor with sidechain or sound2ctl on the output of the reverb.

It has the same result of getting the reverb out of the way of your transients, but it gives a different sound to using a pre delay (as predelay is applied pre reverb and the ducking is applied post reverb).

The compressor option can also help to get the reverb to sit more tightly in the mix.

It's nice to have multiple options so you can choose what works best on an individual basis (including using combinations of above techniques together).

Hope my talk about reverb is helpful to someone and not an OT ramble :friends:
burij

Post by burij »

Yeah, thanks, I was also thinking, there is no predelay
You can download my exclusive Sunvox-Metamodules here: https://label.weddinger-schule.de/category/tools/
philipbergwerf

Post by philipbergwerf »

burij wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:10 am Hi Folks,
1 is there any predelay or do you need to use delay module to create predelay?
2 if there is, is it fix length or is it attached to some parameter like room size? If it is attached how to translate it's scale in ms?
3 feedback is, what you call decay on most reverbs, right?
4 what does all-pass exactly do? In my understanding it does some hi- and low-pass. How much exactly? If I turne it of, I have the feeling, some frequencies are still filtered out.
5 nothing to do with sunvox per se, nur general concept: is my understanding correct, that dumping simulates more soft surfaces in the room. On the other side dumping = 0 means the virtual walls are build from something very plain and hard like Metall?

Thanks in advance!
This is my understanding(correct me if I am wrong):
1 No
2 No
3 No, It is feedback. The amount of feedback is again processed by the reverb. Try to set it to 0 and play with the room size. If set to max it will echo the signal many many times like the echo module.
4 I don't know; anyone?
5. Reverb is a sort of echo. I think damp is a low cut filter which is applied every time the reverb echos a signal. But maybe my understanding is wrong about this...
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

the all-pass filter changes the phase of the echoed signal, like an actual all-pass filter does. this makes the reverb more natural
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
burij

Post by burij »

Thank you guys for the replies. I did some further experimenting, because I wanted to reach time based control of the reverb. The reason is, that this way you can adjust reverb times to your bpm and make it fit really smooth in your mix. What I did was to build a ms-based predelay with echo module and put the new ADSR behind it. Since ADSR needs to be triggered by echo, I putted feedback modules in between. So now you have ms-based predelay and release.

This actually made me realize, that sunvox has now a new unique way to control your effect chains. You could put in general ADSR (I really love this damn thing) behind the chain and feed it direct with midi of your instrument or kick (with multisynth). I never saw a reverb, which you can feed with midi and have ADSR on it. sunvox is sooo amazing!
Attachments
wSCH Effect advanced reverb.sunsynth
(9.74 KiB) Downloaded 124 times