SunVox 1.9.6 BETA

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
NightRadio
Site Admin

SunVox 1.9.6 BETA

Post by NightRadio »

SunVox 1.9.6 BETA is ready for testing!
http://warmplace.ru/temp/sunvox-1.9.6-beta2.zip
(test versions for Windows, Linux, macOS)
The final version with support for all systems will be released in the coming days.

What is new:
  • iOS: SunVox Audio Unit (AUv3) can now be used as an effect (filter) inside other DAWs;
  • sound engine optimization;
  • new module - Pitch Detector for detecting the pitch of the incoming signal; the frequency and note will be displayed; notes will be sent to the module output; see example "pitch correction (automatic tuning)";
  • new module - ADSR envelope generator; see examples adsr, adsr2, adsr3;
  • new module - Ctl2Note for converting the controller value into a note (input - automation; output - notes); see example ctl2note;
  • Analog Generator: new waveform "harmonics" allows you to draw the harmonic distribution; but remember, if you turn on all 32 harmonics, then the module's performance will slow down 32 times compared to a pure sine generator; reduced polyphony and LQmono mode will slightly reduce the CPU load;
  • SpectraVoice: new harmonic types: overtones1+, overtones2+, overtones3+, overtones4+, metal;
  • LFO: new controller "Frequency scale" (in percents) - use it to slow or accelerate the oscillations;
  • LFO: new controller "Smooth transitions" - disable it to get hard transitions inside the waveform;
  • Generator, Kicker, SpectraVoice: increased resolution (accuracy) of Attack and Release controllers; (only if the base version is 1.9.6 or higher in the Project Properties);
  • Sound2Ctl: new option "Send only changed values";
  • MultiSynth: new option "Round the note (X-axis on curve3) to the nearest integer" (remove microtones);
  • MultiSynth: new option "Round the pitch (Y-axis on curve3) to the closest";
  • MultiSynth: new option "Record notes to the scale (curve3)"; see example "dynamic scale";
  • MultiSynth: new option "Output note = Output note - Input note + C5" (difference between output and input pitch);
  • MultiSynth: new option "Output port number = note % number of connected outputs"; (% is the modulo (remainder) operation); see example "drumkit 3 (multisynth)";
  • MultiSynth: new option "Output port number = polyphonic channel % number of connected outputs";
  • MultiSynth: new curve 3 describing the dependence of the output pitch on the input note;
  • MetaModule: new options "Receive notes from the keyboard" and "Don't receive notes from the keyboard";
  • MetaModule -> User defined controllers: edit buttons (add,delete,move up/down) have been added;
  • Pitch shifter: incoming notes change the value of controller 02.Pitch; the C5 note corresponds to zero;
  • Pitch shifter: new controller "Bypass if pitch=0" - play the original signal when the module does not change the pitch;
  • MetaModule, MultiSynth, Sound2Ctl, Sampler, Analog Generator: options can be accessed in the same way as controllers (see the exact numbers in the options list);
  • new MIDI IN mode for modules - "never" (never receive MIDI data);
  • improved popup menus: additional navigation keys (up,down,left,right,space,enter,escape); horizontal scroll if the menu does not fit on the screen; highlight of the current effect;
  • new pattern effects (column EE): 05 and 06 - raise / lower the pitch of the last note activated on the track (one semitone = 100 (256dec));
  • new keyboard shortcuts for the timeline: slice, mute, solo, unmute, set restart position, snap to grid (unassigned by default);
  • new folder "curves" (with curves for MultiSynth, MultiCtl and WaveShaper);
  • new modules in the instruments/ and effects/ folders;
  • new examples (SunVox Compo 2020.02 winners): Trackerbound - Alpha Ursae Minoris, Trackerbound - Silentium, manganoid - Lazy Thunder, SawZer - Phantom;
  • bug fixes.

NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: SunVox 1.9.6 BETA

Post by NightRadio »

ADSR crashes randomly. Trying to fix it now...
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

hi! i tested the beta, and i really like it! i have a few small suggestions:

- the harmonic drawing shouldn't be able to make "negative" harmonics; it should stop below 0
- the harmonic "graph" should be separate from the drawn waveform
- on my "pseudothink" module, the tpl automation seems to be broken (though it works as normal when you go in and play the pattern); you may want to look at this
- maybe there should be an option to make the asdr module polyphonic
- maybe there should be a way to restrict how many polyphonic channels the multisynth can receive

hope you'll take these suggestions into account

the beta is really good! thank you for letting us beta test it!
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

AutumnCheney wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:09 am harmonic drawing shouldn't be able to make "negative" harmonics; it should stop below 0
You seem to be missing something. The negative space creates a harmonic with negative phase

EDIT: Or at least it should...
peterwilli

Post by peterwilli »

Is it normal that if you are in a meta module, and then save, the rest of the project gets lost? I didn't think this behavior was in the stable version.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Is it normal that if you are in a meta module, and then save, the rest of the project gets lost? I didn't think this behavior was in the stable version.
Of course no :)
How can i reproduce this bug?
peterwilli

Post by peterwilli »

Apparently it happens on the current stable version as well. I'll make a screencap because that's the best way to show it.
Here it is: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fDX8X1rjLTjRHydF6
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

i found another bug: if you send a note into the pitch shifter while the "pitch scale" is set to 0%, sunvox immediately crashes

NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

peterwilli wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:36 pm Is it normal that if you are in a meta module, and then save, the rest of the project gets lost?
Apparently it happens on the current stable version as well
Thank you for the video! But i don't see anything unusual here.
If you save the MetaModule nested project - only this project will be saved, but not the master (top level) one.
All the edit levels will be saved to hidden files:
.sunvox_prev_session.sunvox - master project
.sunvox_prev_session1.sunvox - MetaModule 1
.sunvox_prev_session2.sunvox - MetaModule 2 inside MetaModule 1
etc.

AutumnCheney wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:09 am 1) the harmonic drawing shouldn't be able to make "negative" harmonics; it should stop below 0
2) i found another bug: if you send a note into the pitch shifter while the "pitch scale" is set to 0%, sunvox immediately crashes
3) on my "pseudothink" module, the tpl automation seems to be broken (though it works as normal when you go in and play the pattern); you may want to look at this
(1) fixed.
(2) will be fixed :)
(3) negative amplitude = phase shift of the sine by 180 degrees
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

NightRadio wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:33 pm negative amplitude = phase shift of the sine by 180 degrees
alright, though i do feel like there should be a way to make it "snap" to 0. setting the harmonics i don't need to 0 to save cpu is very difficult without the ability to precisely set them to 0

NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

AutumnCheney wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:13 am alright, though i do feel like there should be a way to make it "snap" to 0
Agree with you. Actually "Snap to 0" option is enabled by default. Try to draw harmonics with an amplitude close to zero. But maybe I should make this effect stronger?
philipbergwerf

Post by philipbergwerf »

I have a question about the record to scale function from Multisynth. In this project I wanted to record the overtones to every octave using the record function. The result is nothing like my 'overtones'. I would expect a copy of these overtones in every octave but I get weird results.

What is the record function doing exactly?
Attachments
Record to scale.sunvox
(3.43 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

philipbergwerf wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:26 pm I would expect a copy of these overtones in every octave but I get weird results.
MultiSynth will create a new scale based on the incoming notes. Here is the algorithm:
1) receive a new note;
2) remove the octave from the note; for example C-4 --> just C;
3) place this note in each of the 10 octaves (with transposition): C-1, C-2, C-3...;
4) go to 1)

You have ~3 octaves of overtones.
MultiSynth will distribute these tones across the entire scale.
I hope I didn't explain it too hard :)
philipbergwerf

Post by philipbergwerf »

NightRadio wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:02 pm
philipbergwerf wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:26 pm I would expect a copy of these overtones in every octave but I get weird results.
I hope I didn't explain it too hard :)
Ah, I understand. I would really love it if there was also the option to record note to note. That way you can use the pattern effects to create every possible curve(using effect 5 and 6?).