FM-synthesis and clicking

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
ibim

FM-synthesis and clicking

Post by ibim » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:45 am

Hi!
Is there a way to get classic FM-synthesis in SunVox? Toduhere is the FM mle, but it only allows one algorithm. The main problem for me is clicking. It usually has to be monophonic synths as to not create interference. I've tried using glide and slide between all notes, that works ok but when there's a new pattern there will be a noticeable click because the slide and glide don't carry over to the next pattern.
I made this thread for for this, I think that would make it easier, but it would still have to be able to work between patterns.
https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4710
Any help is most welcome. :beer:

ibim

Re: FM-synthesis and clicking

Post by ibim » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:14 pm

Made this to show what I mean clearer. There's a click between the patterns that I don't know how to remove.
Attachments
fmtest.sunvox
(11.48 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

queries

Post by queries » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:03 pm

I think this is a side-effect of how patterns interact with modules.

At the end of a pattern, all columns effectively get a "note off" command after the last row, which gets sent to whatever the last module in the track had a note sent to it. To my knowledge, there's no way around this in the current version of SunVox.

So, if you need something to sustain across pattern boundaries, you'll actually need to make a single larger pattern instead.

ibim

Post by ibim » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:40 pm

Ah, shame. Any way to do it without slide command? Here there's clicking between the notes.
Attachments
fmtest2.sunvox
(19.92 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Keres

Post by Keres » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:10 am

i kindov dont get get question.

if you go through pains to produce a bad ass FM synth, however you do it... are a few click really worth worrying about? I mean... you just had a raging jazz drum solo over this particular part, and now that it is solo, you think anyone is gonna care about a few "clicks" ???? hell no. just go on and finisht the track and turn up all the exciters.

just my dumb opinion tho...

ibim

Post by ibim » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Using lfos solved my problem but now there is some other noise. It seems that when the amplitude of my lfo goes to zero it is turned off, which causes the noise. Anyway around this?
If you look at the left amplifier in the attached file, the visualization isn't a solid line all the time. Not sure this is the problem though. Again, any help is welcome!
Attachments
fmtest3.sunvox
(11.93 KiB) Downloaded 73 times