Directional stereo / sense of space

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
stugood

Directional stereo / sense of space

Post by stugood »

Any tips on approaching the mixing to have a unique sense of space and direction in the stereo? Right now I am just playing with different tracks in the left, right, and centre. I'm fairly new to SunVox and producing digital music in general so any advice would be appreciated.
queries

Re: Directional stereo / sense of space

Post by queries »

One quick way is to use a delay, and have the sound that's full volume on one side reflected at a lower volume on the other side.
SawZer

Re: Directional stereo / sense of space

Post by SawZer »

I'ma just leave this right here...
https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4685

As queries pointed out, the delay module is perfect for realistic panning.

For example, let's say that you have a synth on the left side of the room. Yeah you could just pan it, but it would sound artificially left. If you think about how ears work, you'll realize that because it would take a sound on the left of you slightly longer to reach your right ear, then maybe slightly delaying the right channel would make the panned synth sound... "Present", there in a room with you.

The forum post I linked is for my Directional Panning module, basically just a black boxed delay pre setup so that all the user needs to do is tweak one slider. I also used it on the bass in my 2020 compo entry.